Chapter 2: Safe At Last

Start from the beginning

He gulped. She only wore a dress shirt, which was fell just past her knees. Is that what she wear to sleep?

Didi could not help but stare. She looked so beautiful.

"Hey, you're done. Do you like wine? I ran out of beer."

"Yes. I'm okay with wine."

He noticed her hands were shaking. "Let me do it."

She smiled and gave him the corkscrew. She tried to calm her hands by clasping them together. Her legs were feeling sore too.

She wished she could spend some time in a warm bath. But it would be rude to leave her guest alone out here.

They sat down on the floor, leaning on the couch and started drinking. "I always prefer to sit like this when I drink." She said, crossing her legs.

Suddenly, she felt conscious of what she was wearing. It was her usual attire but she forgot she had a guest.

"Sorry, I need to change." She started as she got up but Didi pulled her down.

"Don't. You look beautiful."

"Officer Wang, are you drunk already?"

He laughed. "Not so easy. Please call me Didi."

"Didi." She paused. "I need to get used to it. You better stop talking nonsense." She smiled, sitting down and pulling a pillow to put on her lap.

Her couch faced the window, overlooking the lights of Chengdu city.

"How did you get a stepsister?" She started

He smiled. "My mother remarried when my father passed away. I was ten when Lin came about."

"You seem to care about her a lot."

"She is a little rebel but yes, I love her."

"I can't imagine you as the dotting brother. You seem so..."

He glanced towards her and waited. Her side profile was captivating. He found himself drinking in her beauty.

"Are you going to say something nasty, Officer Shen?"

She burst into laughter. "I wanted to say indifferent, okay? Let's change subject".

"Is the fake boyfriend offer still open?"

She groaned and slapped her forehead. He grinned.

"Those are words of people at death's door. I don't recommend you take them seriously."

"Oh? I was not joking, Yue. If you need me."

"I don't need anything. I just want to solve this dammed case. So no one gets hurt."

Suddenly, they fell into silence, both in deep thoughts, recalling what happened earlier today.

"Tell me about your ex-partner."