Chapter 20

"Wha..."

Suji peeked her eyes open, curiously, when she heard Lilith's voice. The first thing she saw was Calla. A... fine-looking Calla. Her skin was still pale from her fright yet, there wasn't single damage on the girl. The next thing Suji saw was Lilith, who seemed to be in a moment of shock at something from across. Suji finally turned toward Adam and almost doubled back.

Instead of the menacing standing boy, Adam now lay on the ground, a pool of fresh blood slipping from the side of his head. His right hand was still gripped on his HK 416, and Suji realized something odd about his grip. Rather than having his index finger on the trigger, Adam had his thumb on it. And the gun was pointed toward his head.

That was when it hit her. Adam died. He died because he had turned the muzzle of the gun toward himself at the last minute. Because Adam had placed his thumb on the trigger, it had done a pulling effect when Adam had yanked the pistol grip away from him. But... why did he do that?

"A-Adam?" Calla asked as she carefully crept closer to the boy, shaking with fear.

"Ugh..."

Suji jerked her head around as she heard a new voice. A figure slumped at the wall, rubbing the back of their head as their face was scrunched with pain. The person had long auburn hair tied into a ponytail and amber eyes, yet it was hard to tell their gender, although they looked familiar...

The protesting girl! Suji gasped as the realization hit her.

She wrinkled up her face in confusion, but... she was sure that the girl's features looked different from before. It was more... male-like. Though her height seemed to be the same, her body was like a mix between a female and a male, though Suji had no idea how that was possible.

"Valdis!" Lilith yelped as she dashed to the groaning figure. "A-Are you okay? W-What happened?"

Valdis's hand shot up to the panicking demon. "I'm fine. Give me a break, Lilith. The boy turned the trigger to himself at the end, and that just threw me off guard."

Valdis let out a sigh of annoyance before she grabbed her forehead with a groan, and Suji bit back a surprised gasp as the auburn hair fell off her neck. Valdis's throat had a black bitten mark, but for some reason, unlike Lilith, the bloodlines at the back of her neck were all black. Valdis composed herself again, her pink sweater straightening as she did; by now, Suji was confident that Stains don't have a customized costume like Elliptical.

"Do you need it again?" Lilith asked the fallen girl carefully.

Valdis jerked her head toward the other girl; the amber eyes were gleaming with need. "Y-Yes... P-Please..."

"Valdis, you know that it's not as go-" Lilith was immediately shushed by Valdis's glare, and she sighed. "Fine. Last time though."

Valdis eagerly lowered her head, and Lilith crouched above the girl. Suji made a face somewhere between surprise and disgust as Lilith bit into Valdis's flesh. Valdis made a moan as a gush of black liquid seeped out from Lilith's mouth. Suddenly, Valdis began shaking, her features shifting as Lilith pulled back, wiping her mouth. When Valdis looked up, the whites in her eyes were no longer white but pitch black, and when she stopped shaking, she looked more like a HE than a SHE.

"Ah..." Valdis moaned in satisfaction as her eyes turned back to normal.

That was when the realization hit Suji: THIS GIRL IS ON DRUGS! Maybe that's why she's slowly shifting genders? Perhaps Valdis isn't a SHE anymore, and a THEY. Yeah, that explains why they said they were a girl in the PAST tense when they possessed Adam!