36

"Yeah, you do," I sighed. "You can start to fix it by leaving me alone. Just for right now. I need some time to just be by myself. I'm really disappointed in you, and I think that you can understand why."
"I do. I've really messed up, and I have some growing up to do," he replied, leaning over to kiss me on the top of the head. "Do you need me to call anyone?"
"I can take care of that. I love you, Bryce."
He stood with a hand on the doorknob. "I love you, too, Kate. I will make this up to you." 

As soon as the door clicked shut behind him, I dialed Jaden's number. "Hey, Kate. I was wondering when I would hear from you next. What's up?" 
"Can you come over? I don't really want to be alone, and I really need someone right now."
"Of course. I'll be over in ten minutes," Jaden replied, hanging up.

I let out a sigh of relief. "Thank God for the family that turned into friends, huh, Everleigh?" I really had to stop talking to my baby bump. 
I heard Bryce moving around downstairs, and I wanted nothing more than to be near him, but I knew that that would hurt more than it would help. 
"Hey, man," Bryce greeted Jaden at the front door. "She's upstairs. She doesn't get to travel much farther than that," he chuckled. 

Jaden's steps came up the stairs, and he pushed the door open. "Hey, kiddo. Do you wanna talk about it?" he asked, kicking his shoes off and climbing into the bed next to me. 
I leaned my head onto his shoulder. "I don't know if I can keep doing this."
"Keep doing what?" he asked. 
I sniffled. "Yesterday, Bryce didn't make it to pick the kids up from school. He was, uh, he was with Addison. He hasn't admitted to it yet, but I know. He came home with a hickey."
I felt Jaden tense up against me. "He's still cheating on you?"
"I know that I should be upset, Jay, but I can't be. My mind is running a thousand miles a minute, and all I can think about is how much I love him and never want to lose him," I whispered. 
"So, what's the problem then?" Jaden asked, obviously confused. 
"I just don't understand. I don't understand why I'm not good enough for him."
"Don't beat yourself up," Jaden interjected. 
"I'm not even finished yet," I scoffed. "How does he look me in the eye and tell me that he loves me and still end up going back to her every time?"
"That's not your fault, Kate. Some men just aren't good."

We sat in silence for a few minutes while I pondered what he had just said. "That's the problem, though, Jaden. He is a good man. He's a great man, and I love him more than I've ever loved any other man. I don't want to lose him."
"Are you afraid of losing him, or are you afraid of giving your kids the same life that you had growing up?" Jaden asked. 
I felt a tear leak out of the corner of my eye. "Both, I think. I came from a broken home, and I don't really think that it did any good for my mental health. I can see myself in Isaiah. You know that he got all the kids ready for school that first day after Bryce moved in with Addison?"
"I didn't know that."
"My mom all but disappeared when my parents got divorced. I had to grow up way too fast. I absolutely do not want my kids to have to go through that. I spent years apologizing for things that my dad did, and now, Isaiah is doing the same thing. I don't want that for them." By the end of my sentence, I was struggling to choke back sobs. 

Jaden let me sob for a few minutes, rubbing my back gently. "You are not your parents. Don't save a marriage that isn't worth saving, Kate. In the long run, it will be better for your children to have two homes with two happy parents rather than one home with two parents that hate each other. I love you, and I love how much you love your family, but you don't have to punish yourself. Not now, and not ever," he assured me. 
"I never thank you," I stated. 
"What do you mean?"
"I mean that you are always, always there for me. I left my family across the country, but I came here, and it's like my family came with me. You are my family, Jay," I murmured. 
"Hey, that's what brothers are for, aren't they?" 
"Like I said, I never thank you," I chuckled. "I mean, come on, you dropped everything and came to my house just because I called."
"That's what brothers are for," he repeated.

I yawned. "Tired?" he asked. 
"A little. I shouldn't be though. I just woke up, and I don't even do anything all day. How does all that work?" I laughed. 
"I'm gonna leave you to take a little nap. If you need anything, give me or Mads a call. You know that we'll drop anything for you and the kids." 
"Thanks, Bubs. Do you mind sending Bryce up here on your way out?"

He nodded, and I waited patiently for Jaden to make it down and Bryce to make it back up. When Bryce made it into the room, I motioned for him to sit down. "We need to talk."
"What about?" Bryce asked. 
"About us. I did a little bit of thinking, and I've figured out what I think that we need to do."
"What? What are you talking about?" The look on his face showed his confusion. 
I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself before I gave myself a panic attack. "I want to go to counseling. I think that we need to. As much as I want to, I don't think that I can just get over our problems just because you apologized."
"Okay, my love. I will do anything to make you happy. I promise you."