29

When we finally got home, Bryce helped me up to the bedroom. "Are you okay?" he asked as I settled into the bed. 
"Well, I'm about to be stuck in this bed for God knows how long while everyone's lives continue around me. How do you think I am?" I replied, closing my eyes. 
"Babe, you really don't have to worry about all of that. People will come and visit you all the time. We both know that. What do you say that the kids and I come up here and eat dinner with you tonight? We can watch a movie if you want to," he suggested, sitting down on the bed next to me. 
"Fine," I sighed. "I'll get over this. I really just need something to keep me busy all day."
"We'll get you some puzzle books or something. I know how much you love those. Don't worry, honey. We will get it all figured out."

He left the room, and I heard the front door slam shut as he left to go get the kids from Josh and Nessa's house. Sitting up here all alone was going to be my regular every day, but I was going to have to get used to it. 
Bryce came home with the kids trailing closely behind him. "Are you okay, Mommy?" Owen asked, struggling to climb up onto the bed next to me. 
"Yep," I answered. "Mommy is just fine. Don't worry, sweetie."
"Is our baby sister okay?" Annalisa asked. 
"Everyone is okay. Mommy just has to stay in bed for a couple of weeks. It will all be okay, you guys."

All three of the kids had climbed onto the bed, and Bryce was leaning against the doorframe. "Look at my beautiful family," he murmured, crossing his arms over his chest. 
"Daddy! You're so silly!" Owen laughed. 
"No, you're silly," Bryce said, crossing the room to tickle Owen. 
I watched them play, and my heart was filled with love. "Daddy's right. We really do have a beautiful family."

"So, are you guys still getting a divorce?" Isaiah asked. 
I looked over at Bryce, and I could tell by the look on his face that he didn't know how to answer that question either. "Well, you guys, even if Daddy and I still get a divorce," I began, looking to Bryce for backup, "we'll always be a family. You will always be our kids, and we will always be your parents. You don't need to worry about that, okay?" 
"Mommy is right," Bryce added. "Family is forever. You guys know that." 

We sat in silence for a little while, and Bryce stood up. "Alright, guys. Why don't we go downstairs and get dinner started for Mommy? We can all come back up here if you guys want."
All three kids stormed out of the room, and Bryce turned around in the doorway. "I know that you don't want to get their hopes up, but I think that we'll have to tell them eventually."
"Eventually isn't today, Bryce. I'm sorry, but I need to be sure before we go turning their lives upside down all over again. I won't do that to them," I replied, shaking my head. "What do you plan on making for dinner?"
"Why do you always change the subject when we're talking about something important. I don't get it," Bryce asked, clearly irritated. 
"Because I don't want to continue beating a dead horse. We talked about this already, and my opinion won't change just because I'm on strict bed rest now. What are you making for dinner?" I repeated. 
Bryce sighed. "I thought that I would have some say in the decision, but you've made it pretty clear that what you say goes, so what would you like me to make?"
"Don't be a smartass. Just make something. At this point, I've completely lost my appetite," I replied, rolling over to face away from him in the bed. 

I heard him sigh in disappointment before slamming the door. Maybe I was being kind of petty, but he was really starting to piss me off. My parents had gone back and forth in their divorce, and I didn't want to put our kids through the same thing that I went through. That was hell, and I just couldn't do that to them. I wouldn't.
A tear escaped from the corner of my eye, and I took a deep breath, trying to keep it in. Bryce hadn't answered what he would be making for dinner, but with my luck, he and the kids would come back upstairs right in the middle of my breakdown. 
"Mommy! Daddy made grilled cheese! That's your favorite!" Annalisa said, holding a plate with a sandwich on it. 
"That is my favorite," I chuckled, taking the plate from her as I sat up. 

Bryce, Isaiah, and Owen all piled onto the bed next to Annalisa and me, and Bryce flipped the television on. "What should we watch?" he asked. 
"Toy Story!" Owen yelled. 
"That is your favorite, huh?" Bryce laughed, ruffling Owen's hair before turning it on. 
I looked over the kids' heads at Bryce as they ate and watched the movie. "I love you," I mouthed. 
"I love you, too," he mouthed back, reaching around the kids to squeeze my shoulder. 

When the movie ended, the kids groaned in disappointment. "Can we watch another one, Mom?" Isaiah asked. 
I shook my head. "You guys have school tomorrow. You have to get some sleep, okay? I love you guys so much," I said, tears stinging at the back of my eyes. This was the first time that I hadn't tucked them in while they were in my house, and it made me sad. Who really knows how many times their kids will let you tuck them in? I didn't want to miss a single one. 
"We love you, too, Mommy," Owen yawned, wrapping his arms around me. 
"Alright, kiddos," Bryce said, standing up and clapping his hands together. "Let's let Mommy go to sleep, too. You all need a good night's sleep."