43

"Bitch, have you lost your fucking mind?" I blurted out. 
"Oh my, God," Addison whispered. "Was she- was she there the entire time?" 
"She was," Bryce answered, pulling me down to sit next to him on the stairs. "You are really that determined to get back together with me, huh?" 
"That's not it, Bryce. I care about you, and I don't want to see you get hurt," Addison stumbled over her words. 
Bryce chuckled. "That's unfortunate. I'm sorry that you wasted your money on a piece of shit private investigator," he said, hanging up the phone.

Bryce looked over at me. "I need you to be honest with me right now."
"Honest with you? About what?" I asked, confused. 
"Well, let's start with the name change. Why did you do it, and why didn't you tell me?" 
I sighed. "I changed my name for a fresh start. It was all legal. I didn't think that it was important. Kathryn isn't who I am anymore. I don't know why you're reading so far into any of this. Do you really believe any of that bullshit?" 
"I do, actually. We got engaged like right after you graduated, and you never did end up getting a job as a teacher. What's that all about? Is it because you don't actually have a degree?" he screamed at me.
"First of all, you are sitting way too close to me to be screaming. Second of all, you wanted me to plan a wedding, and then I got pregnant, and you told me that I could be a stay-at-home mom. I have a mound of student loans that will tell you that I did go to school here in LA. I can't believe that you're really questioning me right now," I scoffed. 

"What about how we met? Did you really only take that one order to me? Was that it?" he asked, his voice softening. 
"No. I took orders for a few weeks before I met you. I took some after I met you, too. Will you please stop questioning me? I have given you no reason to not trust me."
"Well, from the sounds of it, you have given me no reason to trust you either. Maybe we should have never called this divorce off," he shrugged. 
"You have lost your damn mind, Bryce Michael Hall. I'm still me. I'm still from Ohio. I worked my ass off for my degree. Until I met you and started getting brand deals, I put myself through school by taking food deliveries for Postmates. I changed my name because Kathryn Williamson was not who I wanted to be anymore. She was a girl who lived on a farm in Ohio with, like, a billion siblings, and she was the girl who would live in her hometown for forever. I wanted the hell out of Sugarcreek," I explained. 

"Okay, fine. I guess that I can understand all of that, but what about cheating on me? Did you cheat on me? With who?" 
I shook my head in disbelief. "You really believe that I would cheat on you. After you saw how much pain that you caused me when you cheated on me, you still think that I would have cheated on you? This is unbelievable, Bryce. You are the love of my life."
"The love of your life, huh? What about Griffin? He stayed here for awhile. You guys were really close. Did you cheat on me with him? Or what about Jaden? Is that whole 'he's like my brother' thing just a fucking lie?" Bryce asked, anger flashing over his face. 

I struggled to get up off of the step. "I never questioned your relationship with our female friends. Why are you questioning my relationship with Griffin and Jaden?"
"Don't you walk away from me, Kate!" he yelled as I lifted my leg to walk up to the next step. 
"Oh," I groaned. 
"What? What now?" he demanded. 
"I, uh, the baby. I think that it's just a false alarm," I whispered. 
"Are you okay?" he asked, a look of concern crossing his face. 
"When it comes to the baby, I'm absolutely fine. I think that this argument just needs to be over. I, uh, I think that I'll just go change and get ready for lunch with Josh and Nessa. Unless you don't trust me to be near Josh. I might cheat on you with him if we're not careful," I snapped sarcastically.
"God, you're such a bitch."

I shook my head, this time in disappointment, and headed the rest of the way up the stairs, closing our bedroom door behind me. Thankfully, Bryce didn't follow. I really wasn't in the mood to have this argument. 
I dressed quickly, but the shocks of pain never subsided. Fortunately, they weren't close enough together of severe enough for me to really worry about them. 
"Are you ready?" Bryce asked, opening the door. 
"Yeah. Let's go," I replied, avoiding eye contact. I was still kind of in shock that he had the audacity to not trust me.

We walked next door together, and I looked over at him before he knocked on Josh and Nessa's odor. "We aren't talking about this with them right now. I don't want to talk to anyone about it until we've had a chance to discuss it in counseling."
"Yeah, whatever. It'll give you a chance to save face," Bryce agreed, once again sarcastically. 
"God, you're kind of a dick, you know that?" I replied, knocking on the door.
Josh answered. "Hey. I figured that you guys would have canceled."
"Why would we have canceled?" I asked, laughing as I walked past him into their house.

Nessa also looked shocked to see us. "Hey, guys. We, uh, we thought that you guys would have wanted to cancel."
"Alright, someone tell us what's going on," Bryce interjected. "Why did you and Josh both say that you thought that we would have canceled?" 
Josh and Nessa looked at each other, and the look on the their faces made me anxious.
"Um, you guys didn't see what Hollywood Fix posted?"