28

I sat down on the couch, watching Bryce play with the kids in front of the television. "Annalisa told me that someone had a tea party yesterday. I'm really sad that I missed it," I teased. 
"Oh, hush," Bryce replied. "Our own version of a tea party was just fine, and we both know that."
"Mommy! You and Daddy had a tea party, and you didn't even tell me?" Annalisa exclaimed, facing me. 
"Dinner, sweetie. Daddy and I ate dinner," I explained. "Daddy is just being a goofball." 

The three of them went back to playing, and I relaxed against the couch. "Oh," I groaned softly as a sharp pain shot through my stomach. I felt myself growing dizzy again, but I hoped that it would pass.
"Are you okay?" Bryce asked, a look of concern crossing his face. 
"I, uh," I stammered, "I don't really know. I just, ow."
"What hurts?" he questioned, crossing the room to sit next to me. 
"Everything. Something is wrong, Bryce. I think we need to go back to the emergency room," I rambled, groaning in pain again. 

Bryce immediately sprung to action. "Alright, guys. I know that you just got back from Auntie Nessa and Uncle Josh's house, but Mommy has to go to the doctor, so we're gonna head back over there. Sound good?" 
"Please hurry," I muttered, clutching my stomach. These were all new problems, and I was worried that everything was worse than it had been before. 

When he came back home, he helped me to my feet. "Can you walk?" 
I nodded. "Yes. I just, uh, it hurts." 
"It's all going to be okay, sweetie. Everything is going to be just fine," he murmured, rubbing my back softly. 
The drive to the hospital felt like a lifetime, but unfortunately, the pain never subsided. "Bryce, I can't. This hurts too much. What is happening?" 
"It's gonna be okay, Kate. These doctors have got you. We're pulling in right now, okay? Everything is going to be okay. Take a deep breath." 
"Who are you trying to convince?" I yelled. "We don't know what's going to happen! No one knows!"

He pulled into the hospital parking lot as tears streamed down my face. "What if there's something wrong with the baby? I'm so scared." 
"Don't be scared. I told you that these doctors have got you," Bryce reassured me, helping me out of the car.
We approached the desk, and I felt another sharp pain. "Oh, goodness. Mrs. Hall, can you tell us what's going on?" the nurse asked, pulling a wheelchair out for me. 
I collapsed into it. "I'm dizzy again, and now, I've got really sharp pains. Something is wrong. I need you to please make sure that my baby is okay. My baby has to be okay."
"Mrs. Hall, we're going to make sure that you and your baby are okay. Stay calm, okay? That's the best thing for you to do right now. Just stay calm," she said, wheeling me quickly down the hallway. 

Dr. Samson met us in the exam room, and I let out a sigh of relief. "Hi! Hi! Oh my, gosh, I never thought that I would be this happy to see you."
"I've already been filled in. Have you been on bed rest like you were supposed to be?" she asked accusingly. 
"She hasn't been on total bed rest, but she has been on a fair amount of bed rest," Bryce said. 
"I know," I replied, not even needing to look at Dr. Samson to know what her disappointment would look like. 
"Well, let's see what's going on, then," she sighed.

I felt the cool gel on my stomach, and I waited for a telltale sign in her tone or facial expression. "What's going on?" I asked. "Say something. Anything. Please."
Bryce reprimanded me quickly. "Patience is a virtue. Please remember to stay patient. Dr. Samson is the best. You know that."
"Bryce is right," she finally said. "Everything looks just fine with the baby. Your pains look like they were caused by the baby's movements combined with the stress that you've been putting on your body. When I say this right now, I am one hundred percent not joking. This is what is best for you and your baby. You need to be on bed rest. If you are looking up when I see you at your next appointment, we'll make it a little less strict, but until then, I only want you out of bed to go to the bathroom or take a shower. This is really important."

She left the room, telling us that she would be back, and the tears returned, streaming down my face at an even quicker pace."I can't believe that I caused this. My stubbornness could have cost us Everleigh's life. Why do I insist on not doing what I'm told? Bed rest is easy!"
"Hey, you cannot only blame yourself. I could have been more forceful. I could have told you to take it easy. We're both in the wrong. We both did this," Bryce sighed, resting his head in his hands. "The important thing is that you are both fine, isn't it?"
I nodded, wiping the tears from my face with the palm of my hand. "You're right. We have four healthy children. We're working through our problems. Everything is fine, right?"

When we were finally checked out and back in the car, Bryce held my hand tightly, as if he was scared that holding on would hold me together. 
"Bryce, I want to know if we're really in this for the long run. I need to know if I'm wasting my time."
"Our baby could have been in serious danger, and this is what you want to fight about right now? Are you serious?"
"Yeah, I am. I want to know if I'm causing myself unnecessary stress. You heard Dr. Samson," I sighed, pulling my hand out of his. 

Bryce pulled over, turning to look at me. "You gave me the ultimatum. You told me that I had to make you fall back in love with you. I'm going to do that. Either accept that or tell me that you don't actually want to be with me. Those are your options. I don't know what else I'm supposed to say to you about that."
Damn it. I hated it when he was right.