3

With Rose's arrival, the kids all began running through the house. JJ and Did passed by, screaming their hellos. Rose and Isaiah were playing with some Legos by the stairs. Annalisa, William, and Abe were arguing about what game to play. Jasmine and Owen were curled up on the couch, watching whatever show was playing on the television. 
"It's hard to believe that we aren't all here," Noah observed, wrapping an arm around Dixie's shoulder. He was right. Anthony and Avani had moved back to Indiana with Avani's family. When Griffin and Addison broke up, he moved back to Indiana, too, and the last that I had heard, he had finished up his nursing degree and was working at a hospital near his parents' house. 
"When is Bryce getting here?" Josh asked, changing the subject. 

I picked up my phone, hoping for an explanatory text, but there wasn't one. Dinner was planned for six every week, and it was already a quarter after. "I don't know. He said that he would meet the kids and me here, but I don't know where he is. Let me call him."
I walked past Jaden and Mads in the kitchen. I was jealous of how happy they were, but I couldn't let it show. "Calling Bryce?" Jaden asked, spotting me walking out their back door. I nodded, shutting the door behind me. 

"What?" Bryce answered. 
"Where are you? It's six-fifteen. They want to get dinner started. All of the kids have school tomorrow, Bryce," I sighed. 
His breathing was slightly heavier than normal, and it piqued my curiosity. "I got caught up with a, um, a project. You guys can start without me. I'll be there soon."
"Who are you with?" I asked. I knew that it probably wasn't the right move, but my curiosity got the better of me. 
"I'm with, um, no one," he said. "There's no one here with me."
A feminine giggle in the background told me that that was the furthest thing from the truth. "I understand wanting a divorce, but I don't understand cheating on me the very same day that you say you want one. Don't bother coming to Jaden's. I'll make some excuse up for you. I want you to be able to save your reputation."

I hung up, angrily slamming the back door open. "Are you okay?" Mads asked. 
I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself. "He got held up at an appointment. He won't be able to make it tonight. He sends his apologies," I lied through clenched teeth. 
Nessa was also in the kitchen, and I shook my head to avoid the questioning glance that she was shooting me. If I talked about it right now, this dinner would only end in a breakdown. 
"Alright, kiddos! Dinnertime!" Jaden yelled into the living room. The kids came running as each set of parents made their children's plates. It was a nice night, so Jaden and Mads sent them out to the patio table to eat. 

"Alright," Jaden sighed as soon as each adult was settled at the dining room table. "What is going on?"
Everyone else at the table shared a look, and I was confused. "What does everyone else know that I don't know?" I asked. 
"Kate," Amelie began, speaking softly as if to soften the blow of whatever was going to come out of her mouth next, "Hollywood Fix posted that Addison confirmed that she is out of her relationship yesterday." 
"You guys still follow Hollywood Fix? They don't even follow us around anymore," I said, taking a bite of my pasta. 
"You don't think that that's a little bit weird?" Mads asked. 
I sighed. "Why would that be weird? She hasn't even spoken to any of us since she and Griffin split. I don't understand why you guys are making this such a big deal."
"Your husband's ex-girlfriend is suddenly single, and now, he's blowing you off," Quinton blurted out. Parenthood didn't change everything about a person, and Quinton was proof of that. 

"Jesus, Q!" Cynthia scolded him, jamming her elbow into his side. 
"No, you know what?" I mumbled, choking back tears. "That's fine. What's not fine is that I didn't even see it coming. I can't believe it."
"What are you talking about?" Jaden asked, putting a hand on my shoulder.
Always trying to protect me, it was Nessa's turn to blurt something out. "Bryce told her that he wants a divorce."
"Oh, my God! Nessa! I haven't even had a chance to speak to my husband about this if I can even call him that anymore! I need to go. This was nice, but I need to take my kids home."
I got up, heading out to the patio. "Isaiah, Annalisa, Owen, it's time to go."
"But, Mom, we just got here," Isaiah protested. I shot him a typical mom look, and he got up from the table silently. "Bye, guys. We'll see you next week."

As I rushed the kids through the house, I heard someone following me. I felt a hand on my arm as the door began to close, and I turned to see Jaden standing there. "I know that things can be hard, so please, promise me that you'll call when you are ready to talk."
I nodded, turning away from him so that he couldn't see the tears streaming down my face. 
We drove in silence, and I think that the kids all realized just how upset that I was. There wasn't a single question, and I was grateful for that.
When we pulled into the driveway, Isaiah unbuckled Annalisa and Owen, sending them up to the house. He placed a hand on my shoulder, and I felt a pit grow in my stomach. This had been me when my parents were going through a divorce, and I didn't want my children to have to go through that. "Mom, I don't know what's going on, but if you need us to do anything, we'll do it, okay?" 
"You absolutely do not have to do that, my love. Worry about being a kid, okay?" I assured him, kissing his cheek.