Chapter 21: Welcome to Los Angeles

Start from the beginning

Connor shakes his head and hails a taxi. We get in, all bunched up in the back and I stare out of the window as we pass by stuff in the city. I look up at all the buildings we pass in amazement with a soft smile on my face. Once we get to the hotel, Dad gets the key to our hotel room he already booked for us and we go to it and get settled. There's two beds, a couch, a TV, and a bathroom. Just a normal hotel room.

The three of us start unpacking and putting as much of our clothes in the drawers as possible before we finally settle down.

"I'm going to head to the bar downstairs," Dad announces and gets up. I give him a look. "What?" He asks.

"Hank, I think it might be too early for a drink," Connor says, worried for him.

Dad brushes it off. "It's never too early for a drink."

"Just don't get wasted, please," I say.

"Fuck off." Dad gives me the finger before closing the door to our room, leaving me and Connor just standing there.

"What are we supposed to do while he has a drinking party." I groan and plop face-first onto one of the beds.

"There's a Six Flags in the city," Connor speaks up.

I look up real quick. "You're joking."

"Nope."

"Can we go?"

Connor chuckles. "Maybe tomorrow." I pout at him. "For now we should just settle in for the day and maybe look at other things they have to do at this city."

"Fine but I'm still bored."

Connor walks over to a suitcase and opens it up. "Well, I brought some board games. And cards."

I walk over to the suitcase and look at all the board games he found in the house. I pick up one and hold it up for him to see.

"Let's play Clue."

Connor smiles and we get the game set up.

"How do we play?" Connor asks me.

"Okay, so there are six suspects, six weapons, and a murderer on the loose. You have to find out who did it, with what weapon, and in what room." I explain.

"So is this to sharpen your detective skills?"

I chuckle. "Not exactly... I mean it can but it's supposed to be a family game. Why did you bring it if you didn't know what it was?"

Connor shrugs. "Just for this reason. We're bored."

So Connor and I play the game and Connor ends up winning.

"It was Mr. Green, in the hall, with the revolver."

We check the envelope the answer is in and turns out he's right.

"Damn android detective," I mutter and Connor sticks his tongue out at me. "I had the exact same answer, it was just your turn. You got lucky."

Connor chuckles. "What do you wanna play next?"

"I don't know. You choose." I shrug.

As Connor is digging through the board games, Dad opens the door to the room and comes back in.

"Hey Dad." I wave to him.

Connor looks up from his search. "Oh, hey Hank."

Dad looks at us. "What were you two doing?"

"Playing board games. Wanna join us?" I ask.

Dad shakes his head. "No. I actually came back to ask if you want to go out for lunch."

I'm about to say no when my stomach growls in protest.

"Yeah, I guess I am pretty hungry," I say as I rub my stomach.

"Good because I heard there's this food truck that has some really good food there."

I rush to put my shoes back on and the three of us head out, catching a taxi to the place Dad heard about. When we get there there's a line of course but after about five minutes we're finally at the front and ready to order.

"Hi. What can I do for you?" The guy asks us with a bright smile on his face.

"Uh, yeah. Can we have—" Dad starts but then a gunshot rings out and kills the man that was taking our order, instantly. A single bullet right in the center of his chest. "Holy shit!" Dad exclaims.

"Son of a bitch!" I say the same time Dad speaks.

Connor and Dad instinctively cover me and we get down.

"Get down!" Connor yells as the crowd of people start to panic.

'Had to be a sniper.'

I look at the rooftops around the place that have the best view of the food truck. I catch a glimpse of movement from one of the rooftops and I take off towards it.

"(Y/n)!" Connor and Dad yell simultaneously and run after me.

I run inside the building and up the stairs, running into a man with a guitar case.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I say and continue running without hearing his response.

I burst through the doors to the roof and look around expectantly. Connor and Dad come through the door a few seconds later and they look at me as I look back at them, panting.

"They're gone."

—ASE715