“Who am I even telling...you know better than I.” He scoffed in humor.

I frowned, wondering what exactly he meant but shrugged it off, “So have you already received the obligatory ‘hurt my sister and I break your face?’ or has he saved it for later...if not can I be a witness?”

“You truly have my best interest at heart don’t you?” he said flatly.

“You bet.”

Kyle shook his head and slowed down as we reached, he parked the car over the crunching gravel and said, “I think he trust’s me, you being my sister is enough of a validation for him I guess, and I can tell Jensen thinks highly of you but that doesn’t stop the judgement pouring out of his eyes sometimes. You guys are very much alike in that regard, you know…?"

W-wait what? My head spun disorienting my thoughts. I couldn’t believe my ears or at least I didn’t want to. Have I really been so clueless?

“Who?” I breathed out with effort but my question was futile as Kyle had already stepped out and so had mom and dad, and they were all now busy unloading all the bags of presents, but I sat there frozen, limbs locked as they were while thoughts struggled to make sense.

Kyle opened the door for me scowling, “Are you ever going to realise that I’m not your personal chauffeur?”

I looked up at my brother but my thoughts were elsewhere, Jensen’s twin sister Jennifer a.k.a Jenny, the charity event she couldn't organise since she was working out of state, her familiar piercing grey eyes, it all came to me with a force so strong, I couldn't move, speak, or breath.

Kyle was saying something uninterrupted, I blinked in an attempt to understand his words, but my mind was drawing a blank. I was baffled by my cluelessness, my blissful ignorance and my outright stupidity for not joining the dots together earlier.

I was physically forced into reality when Kyle pulled me out of the car at not receiving a reply or an insult to his rambling. He looked a bit worried, “Alexandra, are you okay?”

My eyes focused on him and my anger bubbled out, I kicked his shin instinctively, “Don’t call me Alexandra!” I took the bags from his hands and walked ahead. I was mad at Kyle for not telling me all this beforehand when I had more time to process it and I was mad at myself for not figuring out the obvious.

Seeing Kyle jump on one feet behind me, mom sighed and said, “Kyle, you're getting married soon, for god sake at least act like a grown-up!”

“Why is everyone yelling at me?” Kyle’s sulking voice said.

That managed to amuse me despite my inner turmoil and I found myself positively resolute that I won't let Jensen’s unexpectedly perplexing presence affect me. I had to do it for Kyle and Jenny and for everyone to have a good time. I have to endure it tonight and maybe in future I’ll be more strategic about my attendance at endless dinner parties that are sure to follow.

As we stood in front of the door armed with a bunch of bags filled with presents in each hand, waiting to be welcomed, I couldn’t stop a thought from forming within me.

Did Jensen come to speak with me today because of this, was it because he didn’t want any tension in his sister’s future wedding plans? Granted, I avoided him and made it harder for him to communicate with me, but he succeeded anyway didn’t he… but why today? Why now? Did he only apologize for his sister’s sake, just like I’m putting on a smile right now?

My heart sank deeper when the doors swung open and we were received inside with warm hugs and greetings.

My eyes instantly looked for him, not because I missed him...of course not, don’t you look down at the ground as you walk to avoid stepping in puddles? It was something like that.