25. Lost a Hero: Part 6

Missy saw movement out of the corner of her eye. She turned around to see a kid stretch his neck all the way to the door and listen.

"She's gone," he whispered.

Missy flinched as cheers erupted throughout the room. She turned around to see absolute mayhem. Kids were jumping on chairs, throwing papers around, running around, and unleashing a torrent of super abilities.

She sorta recognized some of the kids, but she had begged her parents years ago not to make her social with them any more. She was so out of place being a normal kid. It was humiliating to be among the rest of them. They had agreed with her after a lot of screaming and crying. It was weeks worth of mopping around.

She turned around put her head down in front of her computer. This was not like any class she had been in before, and it was stressing her out even more. She looked up to see an paper airplane made out of water float by. She turned and saw a small blonde headed girl open her hand to it. She couldn't have been more than six.

She back turned around suddenly see a blonde haired boy park his wheelchair.

"Hi, I'm Wheels. Yes, they call me wheels on account of the wheelchair. It's a little on the nose, but I like it because it's cool," Wheels introduced.

"Okay," Missy nodded.

She was totally fine with it. Her parents taught her to be accepting of everyone.

"You may think I'm in the chair 'cause my legs are weak, but it's the opposite. My muscles are so strong my bones can't support 'em," Wheels pointed to himself, "But lucky for me, my brain's the same way. It's supercharged, so I'm good."

A head stretched in between them.

"So, Wheels, who's your new friend?" he asked.

"Missy, this is Noodles. We call him that because well-," Wheels explained.

"He stretches and twists around like a noodle?" Missy figured out.

"Yeah, basically, but well," Wheels stopped and figured out his next words, "I mean those are our names that our parents gave us, but our Coach made sure we had our own explanations too in case we didn't like them."

"Who?"

"Our Coach. She was our teacher before Ms. Granada took over. If you ask me, I miss it. She was always fun even if she made me learn Shakespeare," Wheels continued.

Wheels pointed to another girl.

"This is Ojo. Her power is she's a genius drawer. Like Van Gogh mixed with Monet with just a sprinkle of Salvador Dali."

Missy tapped her on the shoulder on a surprising whim.

"Can I see that?"

Ojo handed her the tablet, and she saw the drawings.

"A kid standing on top of floating chairs? An exploding exercise ball?"

Missy felt like she was missing something very important.

"Nothing she draws makes sense," Wheels commented.

The next image confused her a lot.

"That's me? Why'd you draw me in front of the class?" Missy asked.

"Oh, she won't answer," Noodles said.

"She only speaks through her drawings," Wheels continued.

"Don't speak. I know just what you're saying," sang a brown haired girl.

Missy didn't really recognize it, but she thought she remembered her mom playing it once.

"No, you don't. You have no clue," retorted Noodles.