A Hundred Miles From Home

Sukuna and his entourage did not stick around for the award's ceremony. As soon as the curse was slain by you, they slowly exited the arena using the excitement of the crowd as a cover.

While everyone else was clapping and in awe at the sight of the exorcised curse, your eyes somehow wandered to the retreating back of Sukuna. Broad-shouldered, tall and a perpetual aura of arrogance.

As you were watching him walk away, he stopped abruptly and turned his head ever so slightly to meet your inquisitive eyes. It was almost as if he knew exactly where you were standing; a cunning smile curled upon his face. As much as that unnerved you, you were unable to tear yourself away from his gaze.

"Miss, here's your money price for successfully defeating the curse," interrupted the same lady who was at the ticket booth. You were so engrossed in the interaction with Sukuna that you didn't even notice her approach you.

Absentmindedly, you took the thick envelope full of money and immediately looked back up to find him. But he was long gone and all you saw were the vague figures of the audience members chattering away.

Just as he left, the drums started again with their riveting rhythm and so did the uproar of the audience. But the noise travelled like faint echoes through your ears, as if you were in an underground cave.

There was no denying that you were overwhelmed by the sight of the most ruthless curse in existence. Hurriedly you left the arena, flashing a hasty smile at familiar faces here and there. Maybe I'm just tired after the exorcism, you tried to tell yourself in pure denial.

In the same haze, you managed to walk about half way towards your house. At this point, you were completely relying on the muscle memory of your legs to take you home.

The haze would not go away and you could not shake away the uneasy feeling forming in the bottom of your gut.

"You there! Wait," commanded a stern voice from behind you. Jumping slightly at the sudden interruption, you turned around to see one of Sukuna's followers. He was sitting to the right of Sukuna at the tournament so he was presumably quite important.

Although you recognized him, you did not take the time to note his stature back at the tournament. At about 7 foot tall, pale green skin and red markings engrained on his eyelids, he was definitely not human.

"Your presence has been requested at the estate of Lord Sukuna," he conveyed in the same stern voice, with the most strict expression that any living being could muster. His presence was even more intimidating than the curse you had just killed.

"May I ask why?"

"That can only be revealed once you enter the estate."

"Well then, do I have the right to refuse?" You asked, slowly getting annoyed at the entitlement of Sukuna and his goons.

A small vein popped up on the latter's forehead and he responded, "No one is allowed to deny Lord Sukuna's request." But you already knew that. Ever since Sukuna became the reigning lord of Sendai and the nearby provinces, his word was considered to be the law, the truth, and the gospel.

Having no other choice, you obliged to this absurd and frightening request. You could always try to escape but knowing Sukuna's administration, they would track you down like merciless hounds.

***
The man with the pale green skin, whose name was Barion as you'd come to find out, stuffed his enormous body in the driving seat of the motor car.

Although the car was the latest model released in 1920, it had one long front seat that could fit 3 regular sized humans, and no back seat. This meant that about 75% of that space was overtaken by Barion.

Squished against the car window, you thought about how you might've looked like pufferfish in a small glass bowl. But subduing your humiliation, you focused on charting a mental map of the roads ahead in case you were being kidnapped.

Despite having such dark thoughts, the tiredness from the tournament began to take a toll on your body. Slowly, your eyelids became as heavy as boulders. The pain of being compressed in the car only made you want to sleep more and before you knew, coma-like sleep won you over.

When you woke up 2 hours later, Barion was driving up the winding road of a mountain. From your side of the window, you saw endless mountains extending as far as the eye could see.

A thick, white fog blanketed the mountain and it only seemed to be getting thicker the more you ascended. And as the last remaining rays of the sun vanished, Barion finally pulled the vehicle to a halt near a stream of water.

"We are here," announced Barion. If there was enough space to turn around and look at him in utter confusion, you would have. But being stuck in car with a practical Yeti for 3 hours diminished any rational thought you had left.

So jumping out of the car, you began to take in the majestic sight. At first glance, all you saw were small wooden boats swaying peacefully in the stream. But upon lifting your gaze, your eyes met the most sublime view fathomable.

Absolutely breathtaking and frighteningly lavish. The estate of Sukuna, carefully nestled in the deep valleys of Japan like a hidden gem, was indeed fit for the reigning Lord.

Being so awestruck by the estate, you almost didn't register that you were being ushered into the palace-like home of Sukuna by Barion and a few of his servants.

As soon as you entered the estate, the old shaman that you saw at the tournament emerged from the living room.

"I assume you're looking for an explanation as to why you've been summoned," she stated, in a clear, loud and strangely dominating voice.

"That's right," you answered back as confidently as you could, not wanting to shrivel up in front this strange woman.

"The Amulet of the Dove has chosen you to be Lord Sukuna's wife. The Lord himself has confirmed that you are indeed, his wife."

———————————————————
Author's note: omg I got 6 reads!! This is so exiting😙. If you are reading this it would mean the world to me if you were to comment/vote. But as long as you're reading it I'm happy!