prologue

the end of a very long day filled with promo was finally a fact. daniel, and the others as well, was more than ready to pass out on his bed. except for jack, everyone had already left his house. the past few weeks jack had always been the first to leave, because he wanted to go back to his daughter, lavender. she'd been here for three weeks already. daniel thought it was kind of weird that gabbie didn't want her back in hawaii yet. maybe she did leave, was that the reason for jack's dawdling? no, he would probably have been a lot more depressed if that was the case. then what could be the reason jack was keeping him from his much-needed sleep?

"daniel. can i ask you something?"

"if you leave afterwards so i can finally go to bed, yes you can."

the two men were standing in daniel's hallway, both with an exhausted look on their faces. he really wasn't lying about that sleep.

"so you know how i have lav right?"

daniel nodded impatiently in response. what was he trying to say?

"well, gabbie texted me this morning. she was supposed to get lav back tomorrow but something came up. i believe something with her father."

"and your point is?"

daniel was never this snappy, but he was so sick of this day and he really, really wanted to go to bed.

"that means lavender is her for at least one more week. but in three days i have chad's wedding, remember? so, i was wondering if you could maybe, babysit lav that day?"

"you mean i have to stay at your house with her for a few hours? like teenage girls do?"

"no, i would drop her off here in the morning, and i would pick her up the next morning."

has jack lost his mind! why was he asking him to do this? why not jonah, he's the one everyone finds responsible. wait. why not his mother? she was watching lav right now.

"uh, why don't you just ask your mom?"

"she's also invited to the wedding."

"oh. and you can't just bring her with you?"

"no, the invitation clearly said 'no children allowed'  ...  please man?"

"but why do you think i'm qualified? i know nothing about little kids."

"because i trust you the most out of the band. and it isn't that hard, she can talk, you know."

maybe it was the long day he just had, and the fact that he was so sleep deprived, but daniel can't believe he was about to say yes. he didn't want for jack to cancel this wedding just because he doesn't want to watch lavender for a day.

"okay fine. now get out of my house. i want to sleep."

jack gave him a big hug and said thank you for at least three times. unbelievable, this guy. when he had finally walked out, daniel laid down on his bed and fell asleep instantly.