prank(south dakota)

Requester: N/A
Prompt: #127, "Are you sure this is legal?"
Gender: M/F
Word count: 440

You sneak around the corner beside South, ducking your head as some of the crew onboard the Mother of Invention go by. You glance at the bucket in South's hands and hesitate again.

"South, are you sure this is legal?" you whisper quietly. She looks at you, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, why shouldn't it be? We're just playing a prank... On our employer. But that doesn't make it illegal." You stand, uncertain. She laughs and puts her arm around your shoulders.

"Relax, (S/N), it'll be fine. If he figures out it was us, I'll take the fall. But F.I.L.S.S. said she wouldn't tell, and I trust her." She pauses. "Sometimes more than I trust our fellow freelancers. Now c'mon, we gotta hurry this up before the Director gets back." You sigh and follow her lead.

While she sets up the prank, you stand guard. It takes way longer than you wanted it to, and you find yourself looking at the camera uncomfortably more than one time. It seems to watch your every move.

"C'mon, South, hurry up..." you mutter softly to yourself. You were getting jittery, and you feared that the Director would walk around that corner any moment and dash any and all hopes you have of getting onto the leaderboard.

She finally pokes her head out of the room, looks around, and then grabs your hand and runs with you to a previously designated hiding spot to wait for the Director. You discuss the setup in harsh whispers until she suddenly holds her hand up to silence you.

"Shh! Look! Here he comes! Oh, this is gonna be so good." She grins, and suddenly you worry about just what she did in there. Did she deviate from the plan? You open your mouth to ask, but she stops you, pointing.

The Director opens the door, stepping into the room with the Counselor. A few seconds later, there's a loud crash- so abrasive that anybody on the ship could've heard it. South gets up, grabs your hand, and takes off down the hall, cheering excitedly.

"Yeah! He fell for it! Hahaha! That'll teach the fucker to drop me on the board again!" She cheers. She pulls you in for a hug, holding you tightly. "Thanks so much, (S/N). You have no idea what this means to me."

She steps back, holding you at arm's length with a big smile.

"Agent South Dakota!" rings across the ship suddenly. Her smile drops, and a look of panic crosses her face.

"Sounds like you're in trouble, South," you say. You can't help your smile. She sighs heavily.

"Sounds like it."