back in business

Sadly, the BAU's vacation was coming to an end. As much as I loved the time off, I was starting to get a little antsy. I just wanted to get back in the field and solve some crimes.

Spencer was currently in a meeting awaiting on a decision for his reinstatement. I was in one of the empty offices down the hall, waiting to hear from him. I hoped it was good news. This job has been an important part in Spencer's life for the last 13 years. I hoped that the actions of a psychopath didn't take that away from him.

He walked in a while later, his face expressionless. I jumped out of my chair at the sight of him. "What'd they say?"

He pulled something out of his coat pocket and smiled as he showed off his new badge.

"Oh my god!" I jumped into his arms in excitement. He lifted me off my feet and spun me around. When he set me down, I pulled him in for a kiss. We broke apart and my hands went up to cup his face.

"I'm proud of you."

He smiled, but I could tell something was off. "There's a stipulation to my reinstatement."

I started to worry, my hand trailing down to grab his.

"For every hundred days in the field, I have to take 30 days off."

Before we had Delilah, Spencer would always get antsy and frustrated when we had time off. His mind always moves at a mile a minute and if he sits for too long, it drives him crazy. I just hoped that there would be a way for me to prevent that.

"Well, look on the bright side. You've got the job back and I know a certain 6 year old who would love having you home for long periods of time."

He chuckled as he rubbed his thumb across my knuckles. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

"C'mon, let's head to the office. I'm excited to work with you again."

I practically dragged him down to the bullpen and stopped right in front of our desks. He looked happy to be back, his eyes scanning over the pictures and books lined up across the desk.

An alert on our phones pulled us out of our moment. It was a case.

"I'm gonna go drop something off to Emily, I'll meet you at the round table."

I walked up the steps to see Emily, Tara, and Matt all in the middle of a conversation.

"Here's that paperwork."

"Now I'm willing to bet good money on the fact that the Reid household had a lovely break," Tara spoke up.

"How's everything going?" Emily asked.

"We're doing good. There were some struggles, but we're together and we're happy."

"That's good. Let's go take on this new case."

We met up with the rest of the team in the conference room. I immediately made my way over to Spencer and wrapped my arm around his.

We started talking about the case, some poor girls getting stuffed into suitcases after being murdered. Before we headed to the plane, I stopped Spencer.

"I apologize if I seem to hover on this case. I just want to make sure you're okay. So if I'm being annoying, just tell me."

He set his go-bag down on his desk and wrapped his arms around my waist, mine automatically going around his neck.

"You don't annoy me. And I appreciate you looking after me. Now let's go work our magic."

I nodded and we made our way to the jet. Our teammates have always joked that when the both of us are on a case, unsubs beware. I just hope that these last few months haven't caused us to lose our touch.