the call 2: electric boogaloo

"Alright, spill the beans, pretty lady. You have definitely been romanced to death recently, so give us the details."

Right now, I was in the middle of a Girls Night gossip session with JJ and Penelope. We all had wine in our systems and were catching up after not seeing each other for almost five weeks.

"Well, romance has been more on the back-burner, but we did have a date night a while ago."

They both looked at me with grins on their faces, eager for me to continue.

"I managed to pawn Delilah off to my dad. We went out to dinner, had a lovely time, and then hung out back at home."

"I refuse to believe you just 'hung out' at home," Penelope scoffed. "Give me the dirty details."

"We, um, did some adult activities for a while?"

"How long is a while?" JJ smirked.

"Uh... about an hour and a half," I muttered as I took a big sip of my wine. Both ladies laughed, Penelope slapping my arm.

"No way!"

"And like 15 more minutes in the shower the next morning."

"Ariel!"

We were all in a fit of giggles for the rest of the night. It was nice to unwind with my friends every once in a while. A big chunk of our time was spent working cases together and it's always nice to leave the serial killer talk alone.

At around midnight, we started to make our way home. JJ was practically carried out by Will when he showed up and Penelope was passed out in her bed by the time Spencer came to get me.

He was in his pajamas and a hoodie, our daughter passed out in the back seat. "I didn't want to leave her alone. How was girl's night?"

"It was good. It sucked that Emily and Tara couldn't make it, but it was still fun. And I promise, I didn't drink too much."

He chuckled, placing a hand on my thigh. The rest of the ride home was quiet, considering I was on the brink of sleep.

We pulled into the driveway and I dragged myself to my bedroom, Spencer placing Delilah into her own bed. He then followed me to bed, laying next to me and pulling me into his arms. Before I drifted off, I heard him whisper something.

"Thank you for everything you've done for us. I appreciate you and love you so damn much, baby."

He placed a kiss to my temple and I felt a smile creep onto my face. Pretty soon, I was asleep, dreaming of the beautiful boy sleeping next to me.

It was a couple days later when I got the call. Delilah was taking a nap and Spencer was filling out some paperwork.

"Hello?"

"Agent Reid, this is Agent Lawrence with the Bureau. How are you doing today?"

I knew Agent Lawrence was with the higher ups, so receiving a call from him was odd to say the least.

"Oh, I'm doing well, sir. What can I do for you?"

"I was just calling to see if we could schedule a meeting soon. We are going through the reinstatement process with your husband and would appreciate your input before we make a decision. Does tomorrow work for you?"

I froze up, taking a moment before stuttering out an answer.

"Uh ye-yeah. Tomorrow works fine."

"Great. I'm glad to hear what you have to say. Take care, Agent Reid."

"Thank you sir."

After I hung up the phone, my hands started to shake. It was like I was experiencing that fateful call from months ago all over again.