𝟔𝟖| Friends

Start from the beginning

The room was unfamiliar to even be considered a memory. Most of my memories consisted of the dark room and childhood glimpses, it also reminded me of my deepest regrets and the lowest I'd ever been- but never the unknown. Or maybe, it wasn't unknown and I'd just forgotten. A distant memory that buried itself deep into my mind, surfacing at the strangest of times. My cracked lips quivered as I opened my eyes, I could hardly make out the white material of my sundress- the same dress I'd always be wearing in my dreams.

"Maybe we should just kill her now and deal with the consequences later?" A voice chuckled. "We have the most power, we'll force submission."

"Perhaps we should." Agreed the figure at the far end. "They'll learn that our decision was for the best within time."

"You're right."

"Let's get rid of that demon in disguise."

"Then it is settled."

Settled? I lifted my head up frantically, staring at the figures who were eyeing me like a piece of trash at their disposal. Their menacing gazes made me feel small, inferior- and at that moment I was. Weakness filled my bones, I was trapped within heavy chains, the cuts on my skin burned and my will to live was non-existent. If they killed me now, would it all end? Would I no longer be a burden to the people around me? Would I no longer see the sight of death the moment my eyes shut? Would I no longer be fearful of living?

Guilt overwhelmed me, I felt ashamed. Jiro wouldn't want me to be thinking like this, after all his efforts and sacrifices, he would want me to live- to stay alive. Kei would want the same, after all she practically brought me back to life after dragging me back from the hell I was falling into. She introduced me to a new world of friendship, love and safety. She gave me a life worth fighting for and strengthened my desire to live for the purpose of revenge.

How would I be able to face them if I couldn't kill the people who sent them away?

"Your future's set in stone. But you don't want to die, do you?"

My head snapped towards the cloaked figure who spoke, or so I thought. Sora lifted her hood, her blue eyes stared into my own as she crouched down in front of me.

"Shall I free you from those chains?" She asked nonchalantly.

"Why should I accept help from you?" I muttered, my hair shielding my eyes from her presence.

"Because they're going to kill you." Sora scoffed. I flinched when her cold fingers brushed the hair away from my face as she lifted my chin to face her. "When are you going to drop this ridiculous act? I'm not your enemy. They are." She nodded at the cloaked figures.

I stared at her blankly, my stomach churning with nausea and annoyance. If she was me like she said she was, it meant that she wore the same mask everyone else wore, she wore a mask of lies- every word she spoke was a lie. How could I believe a liar? A person built upon lies and hatred, even if she was me, we were not the same.

"Lies?" She raised her eyebrow. "I may be a lot of things, but I'm not a liar. I am the truth that you aren't willing to accept, a manifestation of your true emotions. If anyone is a lie, it's you."