Twenty-Three: I Think You Have An Audience

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, and detachment worked out just fine for you, didn't it?" Farron shot, stepping protectively in front of Alyxia. Ignoring the spontaneous butterflies that erupted in her stomach, her subconscious registered that they had stopped right in front of the doors which led to the dining hall.

"I'm sorry, we must be having different conversations because I don't remember asking for your opinion!" Reiley fired back. "Besides, it's all your fault we're in this mess anyway. If you'd fessed up earlier, we wouldn't be on the run again."

"Uh, guys-" Alyxia started, but Farron broke in.

"I could have easily kept the chip a secret and let Ignis come for you, but I didnt. I deserted the organisation that raised me for you, and this is the thanks I get?" Farron demanded.

"Guys, I think-"

"Oh do you want a gold medal?" Reiley mocked. "Newsflash: we make sacrifices so that she doesn't have to. Isn't that what we agreed to, Farron?"

"Guys, listen to me!"

"What?" Reiley and Farron snapped at the same time, darting their heads to look at her in unrehearsed synchronisation.

"I think you have an audience."

They followed Alyxia's outstretched hand which gestured to the open dining hall, in which all of the adults were gathered.

Alyxia gave a nervous wave to her family. "I apologise for them. They can be at odds quite often."

"Not an issue," the woman from her father's side of the family, grandmother Terra, dismissed as she waved Alyxia inside. Reiley and Farron followed, sheepishly ducking their heads in the presence of the royal family.

"We were meaning to summon you and your...companions either way," Grandfather Boreas admitted. "Take a seat, the three of you."

They obediently slid into three empty chairs, as Alyxia surveyed the room. Both sides mirrored each other's impassive expressions, and it was clear that something was not sitting right with them.

"We have been informed that you intend to leave," Grandmother Terra began, scanning Alyxia with her eyes. Alyxia felt as if she had been turned into stone by her gaze. "Is that true?"

"We have reason to believe there's serious risk to the family if-" Reiley answered, but was immediately cut off by a sharp gesture from Grandmother Terra.

"I was talking to my grandchild, not you," Grandmother Terra chastised, and once again turned her attention to Alyxia. "Well, Princess?"

"Um..." Alyxia trailed off in a manner most unbecoming, her mouth suddenly dry. "I haven't really thought about it. But-"

"Well then, that's that," Grandmother Terra announced with an air of finality in her tone. "There was absolutely no need for us to panic and jump to conclusions. Alyxia isn't leaving."

"Hold on," Alyxia ventured. "I never said-"

"Do you mean to say that Beckett is not a reliable source of information?" Grandfather Boreas demanded. "He has been working for us for decades, and has always reported to us perfectly!"

"So Beckett was spying on us," Farron reflected, running his hand through his hair. "Why am I not surprised?"

"But Her Royal Highness has just confirmed that she is staying here, which is contrary to the information he gave us," Grandmother Terra replied. "She's remaining with us, and will remain here until this whole awful affair blows over."

"Uh, you're putting words in my mouth there-"

"You're putting words in her mouth!" Grandfather Boreas retorted as murmurs arose among the rest of the gathered adults. "Your side of the family does not speak for her on our watch!"