Amazon Steel Chapter 6

"What happened?"

Confused, Kara watched the dark-skinned instructor standing menacingly over the fallen woman. Nesba gave Kara an imperturbable look, her right hand clenched in a tight fist.

"She was about to attack you with a dagger."

"Oh!"

"There is no honor in how she fights. That is not the Amazon way."

Kara stared at the gruff instructor. She wasn't worried about Imkeh coming at her with a knife, but Nesba didn't know their weapons were useless against her, so the instructor had leaped in her defense, protecting her as one of their own.

Impulsively, Kara hugged Nesba. She knew Amazons were not the huggy, touchy kind of women. They were warriors, many of them anyway, and Diana warned her about this right from the beginning, but she was a touchy person and they would just have to deal with it.

Nesba tensed, her eyes widening in surprise at the sudden intimate contact.

"I hope you won't get in trouble because of this."

Nesba relaxed and grinned rakishly, awkwardly hugging her back.

"If I do, it's worth it, Little Sister. There's no excuse for what she did, and the truth is, I've been dying to wipe that sneer off her face for centuries."

Kara chuckled and pulled away. She didn't want to overwhelm the gruff instructor. One step at a time.

"Thank you."

Nesba gave her a proud smile.

"That was a damn good fight, Little Sister. You have a mean right hook."

Kara beamed.

"Thanks."

Nesba nodded, looking around with her hands on her hips. Spotting Imkeh's warriors sprinting towards them, she exhaled.

"Go find Diana. I've got this."

"Are you sure? I—"

"I am. Besides, that's a nasty cut you have there and I don't want to be on the receiving end of her Highness's wrath if you're not properly taken care of. Go."

Bowing her slightly, with a closed fist over her chest, Kara acquiesced.

"Yes, commander."

Nesba narrowed her dark eyes at the sprinting blonde, a tolerant little smile on her lips.

"Funny, Kara, very funny."

##

Kara rushed to the healer's temple, frustration written all over her face. It seemed word had spread quickly, far quicker than she anticipated, and now, apparently, she was the hero of the day after coming out in the Princess' defense. Everyone wanted to congratulate her for her bravery and honor, and for showing 'that good for nothing harpy' what being an Amazon was all about. She had a feeling Imkeh wasn't very popular in Themyscira.

To her surprise, her gaping and still bleeding wounds seemed to act as some sort of merit medal. Any other day, she would bask in the attention, on the newfound respect she could see in the eyes of these veteran warriors, but now, all she cared about was finding Diana.

It took her longer than she wanted to, but she finally made it to the healing temple, spotting Io sitting outside, by the large marble columns.

"Io!"

The short-haired Amazon turned around and sucked in a breath.

"Ares hairy balls, Kara, what the Hades did she do to you?"