Chapter 10 - Secrets

I sat in the back of the SUV and waited to arrive at a place I hadn't seen in about six years. It was hard to be here without Nichole. We were always together here. If one of us couldn't go, neither of us would go. But here I am, six years later, pulling up beside the house we had spend so many nights together. "Are you sure you can handle this." Hotch asked me, turning around to meet my eyes.

"Yes, Aaron. I'm sure. I need to prove to these people that I am still the strong person who could stand for herself. Plus, if I let the UnSub see me cry, he wins. I'm not about letting evil conquer good." I put on my best smile and opened the door, stepping out.

A tall, slender, blonde guy, about 30 came running to me. "Clarity!" He yelled.

I looked at them and tried to go back a few years in my mind. Then it clicked. "Tommy?" I questioned and started running to him. When we met, he picked me up and spun me around a few times. He held me off the ground and squeezed me tight.

Putting me down he kissed my cheek. "I haven't seen you in years. How have you been?" He asked.

I stepped back and ran my fingers thought my hair. "I'm good. Just taking it a day at a time. This job keeps me going and I don't really have time to stop and smell the roses. Where is Jessie?" I asked, looking at the house behind him.

A tall brunette stood in the doorway of the front porch with his arms crossed, smiling. "How goes it, city girl?" He yelled at me.

I laughed and crossed my arms, leaning to my side. "It goes. How about you country boy?" I asked, mocking him.

He uncrossed his arms and walked toward me. When he reached Tommy and me, he threw his arms around my neck and hugged me tight. Not wanting to let go.

"You are gonna suffocate med you don't let go, Jess." I said, poking his side, remembering his ticklish stop.

He let go and pushed me back lightly, but still knocking me onto the ground. He covered his mouth and laughed. "Sorry City. Guess I don't know my own strength." He stretched out his hand and helped me up, dusting me off.

Reid came to my side and put an arm around my waist. "You ok, Clarity?" He asked

I pushed his arm away and smirked, "Yes, I'm fine. Just hungry." I looked at Jessie and Tommy who were looking at me with a huge 'welcome home' smile. I shook my head and linked arms with both of them, dragging them to the porch. "Aren't y'all coming?" I asked, my Okie accent making an unwanted appearence.

Derek smiled and walked up to Spencer, patting him on the shoulder and whispering something in his ear. I rolled my eyes, still mad at Spencer and Penelope for lying to me about the whole team being worried where I was. I'm a big girl and can take care of myself. Or at least I thought I could.

Walking into the open house I could hear the sound of laughter and kids screaming. I followed the noise to the back of the house. The boys stood beside me and said "Look who came to dinner!" Everyone cheered and clapped. I was hugged by many people I had forgetten in the years past. When I finally got a break from the reunion, I snuck away and got some food, taking it to the front yard and sat on the porch.

Tommy had made his way to my side and handed me a red solo cup full of sweet tea. "Thanks Tommy." I smiled.

"Who was that guy who came to your rescue earlier?" He finally asked after a long silence. I just played with my mashed patotoes, not really knowing how to answer the question. "Come on Clare Bear, who is he?" He was the only one who called me Clare Bear. A nickname I picked up when I was little. I always had a little bear that I would take with me everywhere.

I looked at him in the eyes and let a tear fall. "He is SSA Dr. Spencer Reid, my coworker. And Tommy, I think I'm in love with him." I admitted. He looked shocked when I said the last part.

"He seems to care for you alot, why don't you give him a chance?" He asked, rubbing my back.

"With this case having to do with me, and it is because of me, I don't think I'm gonna make it out alive. If whoever it is really wants me, and wants me dead, they will get to me and kill me. I don't want to leave him with a broken heart when that time comes. It's not who I am." I said.

"Well what about your family, and all of us? How are we supposed to get over your death? We love you too Clarity." He stated, angrily.

"But I," I started, but what cut off.

"But nothing. It is no different if he wants to be with you or if you're family wants you home. It is the exact same. You need to learn that you can protect everyone's heart from breaking. Something is gonna happen to hurt someone at one point of another. Give the guy a chance." He kissed my forehead and walked away.

I wiped away a few tears that had seem to make their way down my cheeks. I heard a knock in the door and I turned around to see Spencer standing there. "How long have you been there?" I asked, weary of his answer.

"Long enough." Was all he said. He sat beside me, swinging his legs back and forth. "I had no idea your feelings were so strong." He added.

I looked at him with a dropped jaw. "Are you serious? Out of everyone I could have had by my side, I chose you. When I was scared to death to be at my own house alone, you can with me and I didn't protect. I never pull away when you hold my hand or kiss me."

He grabbed my hand and scooted closer to me. "Then why did you not say anything sooner? Or tell me you had these feelings. I don't want to be without you. I never want leave your side. If you're worried about something happening, don't. Things happen. But you will not leave my sight until we catch him. I won't let anything happen to you." He pulled my chin up to face him, looking mt deep in the eyes. "I love you."

I let go of his hand and pushed his hand away, putting my plate beside me. He got up and started to walk away, getting about ten steps away. "Spencer?" I said, almost a whisper. He turned around and looked at me with hopefully eyes. I ran to him and grabbed him and pulling him to me and kissing him.

He wrapped his arms around tight around my waist and I snaked my arms around his neck. He let his hands drift to the small of my back and pushed me closer to his body and I smiled. "I have a question to ask you." I looked up and nodded. He smiled and took my hands. "Will you be mine?" He asked looking my deep in the eyes.

"Yes, Spencer Reid." I smiled and hugged him. "Yes I will be your girlfriend."

"About damn time." Derek said clapping along with the rest of the team and some of my friends and family.

"You let this have an interference with work and I will have to take action." Hotch said, smiling, knowing we could handle it.

Spencer ignored them and pulled me to meet his lips again, whispering "I love you." on my lips.