With the beast pushed back, I had a second to recollect myself as I tried to catch my breath.

"What was that, K?" Asuna asked behind me.

"Spirit shield. It impedes any incoming damage but only temporarily and it's immensely draining on your aura." I panted.

The wolf knelt and snarled once more as everyone quickly regrouped to face the beast again.

"K! You knew the most about the last two wolves, right? Why won't this one calm down?" Kirito wanted the info up front this time.

"Because that's Hati, the dark wolf of Hatred. In this world, he is the brother of Fenrir and he himself cannot be broken." I explained.

"So we're going have to kill it?" Liz wondered.

"That, or wound it greatly." I finally drew my crystal sword and my allies readied their weapons too.

The giant wolf growled and began galloping towards us as we readied together in a fighting stance. As the beast neared closer and we prepared for another round, a massive black dragon landed in front of us to scale over the wolf. It's landing shook the ground and we watched as the winged reptile roared loudly at the puny canine before it. The wolf angrily exhaled from its nose as it's gaze met the dragon and it hesitantly backed up before turning to flee the scene. The group of us were dumbfounded as the giant black dragon turned around to face us. With a calm and pleasant demeanour, it bowed its head respectfully before looking up to speak with us. We all holstered our weapons and the dragon smiled with a thankful nod.

"A dragon does not forget." It spoke and I was the only one to gasp.

"You can speak our language?" I asked, knowing previously that I had to translate for the others.

"I have learned few words. Vedinok should thank you for sparing his life." The dragon bowed.

"Vedinok?" Kirito tilted his head.

"It's his name. It means 'Black Death' in their dialect." I translated for him and he nodded gratefully.

"Vedinok heard that you need passage to the top of his mountain. He shall happily take you there." The dragon knelt low for us all to climb on.

"Wait... that's your mountain?" Liz questioned.

"Since even before Elven times, this has always been his home." He nodded.

"Long before us." Sinon was fascinated.

"We sincerely thank you for your kind assistance." Asuna bowed her head.

"Yeah, we probably woulda got creamed in that fight anyway." Liz joked.

"There's no time to waste, gang. K?" Kirito and I both approached the dragon first.

"After you." I gestured and he let out a chuckle before climbing on board.

I took the "drivers seat" and Sinon climbed on right behind me. Kirito, who was further back, beckoned Asuna over to sit with him while Liz sat right behind us.

"So, how are my favourite couple doing today?" Liz asked, hugging us both from behind.

"Ha. Greater than ever before." I smiled back positively as Leafa helped Silica climb on.

"That good, huh? Must've really missed Alfheim then." Liz figured.

"Indeed we did." Sinon giggled and tightened her grip around me slightly.

"Awe Yeah! Another awesome dragon ride!" Klein hopped on behind Kirito and the dragon raised its head with all of us onboard.

"Dreh Ni Mah." The dragon spoke and suddenly took off into the sky.