Prologue

The history of my people is one far too complex than it might seem. The great-great-great grandparents of Marcus Gold and Karina Salts didn't arrive to the Americas on slave ships. They were born right on these very lands. Their children witnessed the colonization of their great lands and fought along side their brothers and sisters of Indigenous decent to defend what they could. For these bloodlines had a secret, they had the uncanny ability to shape-shift into the form of a great wolf, only a select few were blessed with this ability. With this ability, came a lot of helpful perks. They used their abilities to communicate with one another through mind links, using their great strength to build fortresses, as well as using their heightened sense of smell and hearing to figure out just how the colonizers would strike. They also possessed the ability to communicate with their wolf spirits internally. Hundreds bloodlines joining together with a common goal. After years and years of war and bloodshed, the families' leaders came together and collectively agreed that their secrets must be protected at all costs and with that thought in mind, they had no other choice but to surrender their lands to the intruders. This war resulted in many deaths on both sides.

Fast forward to the 17th century, the intruders controlled the lands and these peoples as they saw fit. The families both still upheld their shared agreement to pass on the secrets of their families to the next generation on the day of their first transformation; that usually was around the sixteenth year, and this continued, even during the Separation. The Separation is a fourteen-year period when a brave wolf shifter and his mate split from the community to create his own. He called these packs, inspiring many more to do the same. These packs were always settled among humans, lurking in the shadows. Soon, there were packs all over the United States, boundaries were set and Alpha's were created as were: Luna's, mates to the Alpha, Beta's, second in command, and Omega's, third in command. The unspoken peace made between the families was diminishing. Rivalries became more common, some more deadly than others. 

Things were changing, but one thing that remained was the special union of mates. It is sort of like a marriage ceremony, but only so much more intense. This was a ceremony where the soul mates', mates for short, hearts would become one in every way possible. They would practically share one soul. There was flowers, music, a huge feast, and the Hunt. The two would be separated from each other and either one or both were to shift and seek out the other. The female would release pheromones at a rapid rate, we call this going into heat, the scent would essentially drive her male crazy with desire and passion. It could last for hours; once they found each other, their instincts would take over and the union would be consummated. But today, 21st century,  that tradition died with those who upheld it. Now, unless you were apart of a ruling bloodline, the mating process was pretty underwhelming. Some packs make it a point to uphold our traditions, while others have strayed. 

While most wolves thrived within their new civilized packs, others allowed their instincts to take control; choosing to remain in their wolf form until their deaths. These wolves were untamed and completely irrational. We called them Rogues. All humanity snuffed out of their systems, completely ruthless beings. To keep Rogues from attacking other packs, patrols were established along every border. 

This is the story of my mate and I navigating the complexities of not only our past, but our future.