The New Beginning

Act V

"When is a door not a door?"

"You look like you're ready to face an army."

Stiles shifted out of his thoughts. He had been so fixated that he had been walking across Beacon Hills, oblivious to the world, and hadn't noticed Scott falling into step with him, a teasing smile on his face. Him catching Stiles by surprise was a rarity because of the psychic bond.

Stiles gave him what he hoped was a convincing smile to try and hide his anxiousness. "I kind of am facing an army," he pointed out. It was early evening, but late summer still found the sun up in the sky.

Scott laughed. "I suppose. I didn't think you'd really be all that worried."

Stiles could understand his reasoning. He had faced real vampires and killed a number of them on his own. Maybe he shouldn't have been afraid of the upcoming tests, but all the fanfare and expectation suddenly pressed in upon him. What if he couldn't do it? What if he wasn't as good as he thought he was?

Oh, please... Stiles could feel Bob rolling his eyes. Stop pretending like you're not an arrogant asshole. I'm inside your head. I know you.

Well, arrogance can get me into a lot of trouble, Stiles argued, and if I fail, it'll be in front of everyone I know.

Mmmmmm. And they have such faith in you, don't they?

Stiles decided to ignore Bob's sarcasm. "I'm worried about how these grades will affect my future," he admitted to Scott. The trials were the final exam for a novice guardian like him. They ensured he could graduate from Beacon Hills and take his place with true guardians. The trials pretty much decided which half-breed a guardian would be assigned to.

Through the bond, he felt Scott's compassion and worry. "Chris thinks there's a good chance we can stay together," he said, "that you'll still be my guardian."

Stiles grimaced. "I think Chris was saying that to keep me in school. He knows the only way they'd let me protect you is if I was the last guardian on earth. And even then, my odds would still be pretty slim."

Ahead of them, the roar of the crowd grew louder. One of the school's many sports fields had been transformed into an arena on par with something from Roman gladiatorial days. The bleachers had been built up and banners surrounded the field. There were barracks built near the stadium's entrance where novices waited, nerves on edge. The field itself would have turned into an obstacle course of dangerous tests. And from the sound of those deafening cheers, plenty were already there to witness this event.

"I'm not giving up hope," Scott said.

Stiles gave him a faint smile, moved by his concern. "Hard to believe that after this, we'll be done here and out in the real world," he mused aloud, not really considering his words.

Beside him, Scott stiffened, and Stiles immediately regretted speaking. Going out there meant they were going to undertake a task Scott had unhappily promised to do. Stiles tried to fill the awkward silence between them, explaining instead that he had really meant they would be able to celebrate Scott's birthday in style next week. His attempts were interrupted by Harris, one of the instructors.

"Stilinski!" he barked, coming from the direction of the field. "Nice of you to join us. Get in there now!"

Scott gave him a slight punch in the arm. "Good luck," he said. "Not that you need it."

Stiles gave him a grin by way of thanks, and then Scott headed off to find their friends in the stands while Stiles scurried after Harris.

"You're lucky you aren't one of the first ones," Harris growled. "People were even making bets about whether you'd show."