The Divine Proof

The next day, Stiles decided to check on Scott again and found him in an unexpected place. He was with Marin Morrell, the school counselor.

"Scott, we're a little worried about you," she was saying. "Normally, you would have been suspended. I actually stopped that from happening. I keep feeling like there's something going on that you aren't telling me. Some other issue."

Scott suspended? Stiles reached in to read the situation and found it. Last night, Scott and others had been busted for breaking into the library of all places and having an impromptu party complete with alcohol and destruction to some of the property.

Scott's arms were crossed, his demeanor almost combative. "There's no issue. We were just trying to have fun. I'm sorry for the damage. If you want to suspend me, go ahead."

Marin shook her head. "That's not my decision. My concern is why you're here. This feels like some kind of rebellion."

Since their fight, Scott had been unable to find Kira, and it was killing him. All he thought about was Kira or Stiles. Partying and risk taking were the only things that could distract him from that.

"Students do this stuff all the time," was his argument. "Why is it a big deal for me?"

"Well, because you put yourself in danger. After the library, you were on the verge of breaking into the pool. Swimming while intoxicated is a definite cause for alarm."

So it went for the next hour, and Scott did a good job dodging Marin's questions. When the session ended, Marin said she wanted him back for more counseling. As Scott stalked furiously across campus, he spotted Kira going in the opposite direction. Hope lit the blackness of his mind like sunshine.

"Kira!" he yelled, running up to her.

She stopped, giving him a wary look. "What do you want?"

"What do you mean, what do I want?" He wanted to kiss her and love her. He desperately needed her. "I haven't been able to find you."

"I've just been..." Her face darkened. "I don't know. Thinking. Besides, from what I hear, you haven't been too bored."

"It was nothing," he said automatically.

"That's the problem, Scott. Everything's nothing lately. All your partying. Making out with other girls. Lying."

"I haven't been lying!" he exclaimed. "And when are you going to get over Lydia?"

"You aren't telling me the truth," she said. "It's the same thing. I just can't handle this, okay? I can't be a part of you going back to your days of being the royal prince of Beacon Hills."

If Scott had elaborated on his feelings more, on just how much his guilt and depression were eating him up and making him spin out of control... well, it was very likely Kira would have been there for him in an instant. Despite her cynical exterior, she had a good heart. Now all she could see was Scott being silly and shallow and returning to a lifestyle she despised.

"I'm not!" he said. "I'm just... I don't know. It just feels good to—"

"I can't do it," she stopped him. "I can't be with you if that's your life now."

His eyes went wide. "Are you breaking up with me?"

"I'm... I don't know. Yeah, I guess." Scott was so consumed by the shock and horror of this that he didn't really see the agony in her eyes. It destroyed her to have to do this. She was hurting, too. "Things aren't the way they used to be."

"We need to talk about this—"

"You should have been ready to talk sooner, not now, not when things suddenly aren't going your way." She turned and abruptly walked away.