The Offer

Being with Scott left Stiles with more questions than answers, and so without a course of action, he simply continued to stay with the Tates for the next few days. He fell into their normal routine and tried hard to make himself useful, doing any chores they would let him do. Grandma Kara eyed him the whole time, never saying anything but always looking like she disapproved of him. Stiles wasn't sure if she wanted him to go or if that was simply the way she always looked. The other women, however, were delighted to have him around and made it obvious in every action.

This one night, Stiles was hanging by himself in the garden when he saw Cora appeared all dressed up. She stopped dead and her face turned pink when she saw him. "I was supposed to meet someone soon..." she trailed off.

"Ismail?" he guessed.

She shook her head, and Stiles tried to hide his disappointment. He had seen the other boy a few times, and he had grown more and more likeable. "Just a friend," she said evasively.

"Someone at school?" he asked.

"No." She sighed. "And that's the problem. School will start soon and... I'm just going to miss him so much."

Stiles's smile faded. "I can imagine."

"Oh." Cora looked embarrassed. "That's stupid of me. My problems... well, they're nothing compared to yours. I mean, I may not see him for a while... but I will see him... sometime..." Surprisingly, she gave Stiles a hug. "I know what love feels like. To lose that... I don't know. I don't know what to say. All I can tell you is that we're here for you. All of us, okay? You're one of us now."

That stunned and warmed Stiles at the same time. Cora headed out after that. Then Talia appeared through the back door. "Was that Cora I heard leave?" she asked.

"Yeah, she went off to see a friend."

Talia sighed. "I'd wanted her to run an errand for me in town."

"I'll do it," Stiles said eagerly.

She gave him a kind smile. "You have a good heart, Stiles. I can see why Lia loved you."

It was so amazing in his mind how accepted his relationship with Malia was around here. No one brought up the guardian law or any of that. Nobody made him feel bad or guilty. It was fantastic.

He sighed, consumed by that bittersweet ache in his chest that had become so familiar now. What a stupid thing feelings were.

Talia's eyes were on him, sweet and compassionate. "I know," she said, guessing his thoughts. "I know exactly how you feel."

She did know, he guessed. "Does it get easier?" he asked, voice heavy.

Unlike Parrish, Talia had an answer. "Yes. But it'll never go away."

Stiles didn't know whether to take comfort from those words or not. Talia gave him a brief grocery list, and he set off toward downtown, happy to be outside and moving. While in the grocery store, he was surprised to run into Severo Calavera.

"Stiles! I wondered if you were still around."

"Yeah." Stiles held up his basket. "Just doing some shopping for Talia."

"I'm glad you're still here," Severo said. "You seem more... at peace."

"For now. I haven't done much as far as any decision making goes."

"There are many, aren't there?"

"Yes. What to do now. Where to go." Stiles rolled his eyes like it didn't matter.