p r o l o u g u e

Time period: Early 9th century

Place: Raya Dynasty

Vidhyut felt rage as he watched his premika (lover//female) Varsha bound in the iron chains, bent on her knees, with her head hung low beside the soldier. His livid eyes met her dread-filled ones, tears pooling at her waterline threatening to fall any moment but she looked away. Defeated he looked at the person accountable for this, the King.

"Father!", his voice clashed with the high walls of the courtroom.

The King seated on the massive throne in front of him looked with nonchalance brushed on his regal features but on the inside, he was setting up strategies to silence the rising voices without leaving any traces.

"Oh, now you've come. Where were you all this time son? Occupied? So occupied that you lost your conscience and crossed the forbidden boundaries!", the room shook under his fury.

"So tell me what should we do with her? We either throw her in the jungle full of Bengal tigers on the outskirts of our kingdom or leave her in the dungeon, either way, she is going to die", with a glint of malice apparent in his eyes he asked, "What do you choose son?"

Helpless, that's what he felt. He watched his premika miserable and afraid with her small body hunched in a corner, bonded. He couldn't understand as he felt liquid rage threatening to tumble down his eyes but he restrained himself.

He couldn't, the courtiers already had his weakness captured and now he couldn't show anymore. Somehow his hands found the sword at his cinture, one particular afternoon appeared in front of his eyes.
.
.
.

The weather was radiant, with the sun held high, tender, and newly sprouted leaves in different shades of green glazed under the sunlight as the calm breeze caressed the couple's skin sitting beside the sparkling water of the river.

"Vidhyut?", Varsha asked while threading her fingers through his dark luscious locks.

Vidhyut hummed absentmindedly with his eyes closed, lost in bliss.

"What will happen if the King finds out?", she asked

His posture tensed and silence enveloped them. Comprehending the silence to be his answer, Varsha looked away and blinked back the tears.

"I am not afraid of him Varsha. No one can part us, not even death. I will choose demise over separation", he spoke, at last, his earnest gaze at Varsha's worried ones.
.
.
.

the time has come

The pleasant memories he'd created in his twenty years of life rose before his eyes. For so long he had been in search of happiness when that happiness manifested before him as a person and in some blissful moments, he realized living without them would be meaningless.

It was as if his sanity had no control over himself and all he could hear was demise over separation and the next moment, a metal screeching sound was heard which brought everyone's attention in the courtroom to the Prince who held the sword at his right hand.