Chapter 2- A Letter from Home

Penelope and Colin made their way downstairs to the kitchen where Dunwoody was waiting, along with some toast with jam set up by the maids.

Colin pulled a chair out for Penelope then sat down, helping himself to a slice of toast.

"So Dunwoody, what was so important that you had to interrupt me and wife this morning?" Colin asked with a bit too much spite in his voice.

Penelope swift kicked Colin under the table and gave him a dirty look.

"I'm terribly sorry Master Bridgerton, but I have received urgent mail form your mother in London" Dunwoody said handing a sealed envelope to Colin

"Of course she interrupts her grown up son-"

Penelope lightly hit Colin on the arm and reached to grab the envelope form Dunwoody and opened it.

Her smile slowly fell the more she read on which caused concern for Colin.

"Honey? Are you okay?"

She didn't answer.

"Penelope?" he asked reaching his hand out to grab her shoulder. That seemed to shock her out of her phase.

She handed the envelope to her husband. He soon matched her troubled expression.

Dear Colin and Penelope,

I do hope you're enjoying your time off from society, you both deserve it.

Anthony told me not to write to you and interrupt your time together, but I believe that you both deserve to find out.

After it was revealed that Penelope was Lady Whistledown, we all thought society accepted it, that is until a week ago.

Lately we have been receiving countless letters from the public that have threatened the safety of our family, and primarily Penelope herself.

Please understand that we don't want you to worry and Anthony, Benedict, and Daphne are doing damage control with their high positions. I just want you to know before you come back.

Hope you both are staying safe and will see you soon!

All my love,

Violet Bridgerton

Penelope looked at her husband who had an emotionless expression upon him.

"Colin? Please say something." Penelope asked.

"What can I say? I was worried this was going to happen. I made a vow on our wedding day. How can I protect you if-?!" he soon realized he was yelling and scaring Penelope.

"Penelope...I'm sorry for raising my voice. I just...I love you so much and I would not be able to live with myself if something happened to you" he said bringing his hand up to stroke Penelope's cheek.

"Colin, nothing is going to happen to me" Penelope said.

"You're right, I promise you Penelope Bridgerton, nothing is going to harm you" Colin said.

The two leaned in for an embrace and Penelope tenderly kissed her husband. He returned the act but swiftly stood up and headed for the door with his coat.

"Where are you going?" Penelope asked.

"Out. I just need some air to clear my head" Colin responded.

"Let me come with you-" Penelope started.

"No, let me handle this. Stay here Penelope, do you understand me?" he asked cupping her cheeks.

"But...Colin, we're a team, we need to figure this out together" Penelope whispered.

"Pen, I love you. You are single handedly the most important thing in my life, just please give me some time to think, okay?"

Penelope knew better than to push her husband, so she nodded and watched him leave.

TIME JUMP

The entire day flew by and soon enough it was night. Penelope sat by the fire with a book in hand. Every few moments or so, she would look at the door hoping to see Colin return.

Around midnight the door swung open and in walked Colin, poised as ever.

"Where ever have you been?! I've been worried sick!" Penelope said closing her book and rushing over. When she got to him she hugged him so hard and nestled her face into his chest.

"I'm so sorry Penelope, I didn't mean to be out so late or to make you wait up for me-" he started.

"Colin, if this marriage is going to work I need to know that you have my back like I have yours" Penelope spoke.

Colin was about to protest when Penelope stopped him. "You left me today when I needed you most. I needed you today Colin. I was so scared that you-you left me" she said, eyes watering.

"Oh Pen...I'm so sorry. Please, you must know that I love you and will never leave you. Never until death do us part" he sad reassuringly, rocking her back and forth.

Penelope seemed to believe him and looked up at his sorry face. She stood on her tip toes and kissed him lovingly.

"What are we to do now? Should we stay here? Go back to London?" she asked.

Colin thought for a moment. His first instinct was to take Penelope far from London and never return, but then he thought of his family and how he would not see them. He then thought he would go back to London on his own and leave Penelope here, but he knew his wife. He knew that if he left her not only would they both feel empty, but she would just end up following.

Colin soon came to the conclusion that they would need to return to London to address the problem directly. He could not let his family take the heat for this, he may not be the oldest or the most successful out of his siblings, but he was a Bridgerton nonetheless.

He looked at Penelope, who was still curious and said one sentence.

"Have Dunwoody pack our bags. We're going back to London tomorrow"