🇮🇹MARANELLO

Start from the beginning

I take her into my arms and squeeze her torso tightly, 'Maja-'

'I don't want to sound rude but I don't need your sympathy or pity' she tells me looking me in the eyes, 'I'm fine honestly'

This time I am the one to let out a sigh, 'Alright, but promise me you will talk to me if you need to'

'Promise' we pinkie promise and walk with our bikes down to the nearby lake, a place where Maja had suggested and set up our picnic blankets, unwrapping the food.

I assemble two sandwiches with the prosciutto and bread, and hand one to Maja who's comfortably sitting on the blanket next to me. She continues to crack open our bottle of apple juice and pour it into the small glasses we brought with us. Taking the glass she hands me, I relax back gazing out over the glittering lake, reflecting the shining sun above us, the view truly mesmerising. Maja was right, today really is a perfect day. The full trees sway, rustling in the slight breeze while the birds chirp together, seemingly content. I breathe in the fresh air and lay back on the grass, it's lush blades shooting through my fingers. I could've stayed there with my head on the earthy ground beneath me, with my eyes closed blissfully for hours, but I am alerted back to consciousness by Maja whisper-shouting my name.

Jumping up in shock, I turn to her mouthing a 'what?', but instead her back is turned towards the gap in the hills where we entered. Confused, I follow her eye-line and see a man getting out of a car.

'Who's that?' I ask, but Maja is frozen and unresponsive, anxiety radiating from her body. I squint my eyes in attempt to see the man more clearly, then it hits me. 'Is that Gio?!' I question desperately shaking Maja's shoulder.

She nods her head and mutters 'What is he doing here?' I'm asking myself the same question, there is no way he knew that we were here. Maja had mentioned earlier that he hadn't read her text to say she was going out today, so why was he here?

Then to make matters worse, he walks round the car to the passenger side, opens the door and helps a pretty blonde girl out of the seat. He takes her hand and spins her round causing her to let out a giddy laugh prior to pressing his lips against hers. For a minute, time stood still, my mouth hanging agape in bewilderment. I can sense distress in Maja, her eyes as wide in horror as my own. I sit in shock not knowing what reaction to anticipate from Maja.

That question is answered when she leaps up from her seated position and storms in their direction, each stride consumed by rage. She is halfway there when I am released from my stupor, pushing myself off of the floor, hurrying to catch up with Maja. But I am too late because by the time I reach her, she is already screaming down Gio's throat.

'What the fuck Gio?!' She shouts, pushing him violently back into the car, his face surprised. She carries on shouting and swearing at him, as he attempts to cough up a sorry excuse but he is to astonished to even form words. Meanwhile the blonde girl stands to the side, also lost for words, looking ready to break into tears and flee the scene. She doesn't get the chance, however, as Maja focuses her fury on her.

'Did you know about this?!' Maja seethes, pointing an accusing finger into her face.

'I-I- swear I didn't know' she stutters, throwing her hands up in defence.

'How long have you been seeing him?' Maja asks with a threatening tone, scaring the girl even more.

The girl looks disgustedly at Gio, who is shaking his shaking his head at her with begging eyes, but she ignores his pleas and answers, 'Months'.

That's the last straw, but as Maja turns away, Gio catches her wrist whining, 'Please Maja', she smacks him across the face, terminating the discussion with, 'We're done, I don't want to ever see you anywhere near me again'.
She takes me by the arm, pacing away from the two left by the car. We pack up our things, get back on our bikes, and leave.

We ride back to Maja's house and as soon as we stop she breaks down, tears streaming down her cheeks, flowing endlessly. I pull her into a hug on the pavement and hold her frame while she sobs. When she eventually catches her breath, she looks to me with red puffy eyes and says, 'Where am I supposed to go?'

'You can stay at my apartment' I tell her, hushing her and rocking her body in reassurance. 'Go pack your bags, we will call a cab and go to my place' She nods at me like a vulnerable child and gets up, unlocks the door and enters the house, telling me to stay outside, in case Gio showed up. Thankfully he didn't and we got into the taxi, with her bags undisrupted.

Once in the apartment, we leave Maja's bags by the door and I lead her to the kitchen for a glass of water.

'You look tired' I tell her as she sips her water, 'I'll take you to my room, you can sleep there, I'll take the sofa' She just smiles and allows me to guide her to my room, clearly emotionally exhausted by the events occurred. I shut the door and let her be, hoping that she will be alright in my absence. The next immediate thing I do, is call Charles to inform him of the current situation, but after 3 calls he still doesn't pick up. Then I realise his phone is here, buzzing away to itself, still plugged in from yesterday. I internally groan, flopping down on the sofa and switching on the tv, browsing through the channels to pass the time.

I decide to wait for Charles to get home before going to sleep, so he isn't confused be the extra bags and random person sleeping in his apartment. Unsurprisingly, he gets back late, as usual after meeting sessions with Mattia, therefore I am already half asleep when he walks through the door.

'Abella?' He questions when he sees me lounging on the sofa, 'How come you are still awake?'

'Long story' I tell him, proceeding to explain the reason to him, letting him absorb the new information. 'I tried to call you but you left your phone at home'

'I know, sorry about that. But you can't sleep on the sofa all night Abella' he instructs me firmly, like he's my parents.

'Where else am I supposed sleep genius?' I reply sarcastically, feeling groggy as a result of a long day.

'In my bed, I'll sleep on the sofa instead'

'Charles you have a training day tomorrow, you will end up breaking your back beforehand if you sleep on here' I reason, pointing to the sofa.

'Then we will both have to sleep in my bed' he suggests his obvious answer, shrugging his shoulders, 'We used to do it all the time as kids'

'True' I say before quickly leaving to avoid the awkwardness of the topic, and enter his room, sliding in between the soft sheets on his bed. Charles is right, we did used to sleep in the same bed all the time as kids. The only thing is that we are not kids anymore, far from it.

I turn on my side to face the wall and pretend to sleep when Charles joins me, pulling the sheets up to his shoulders. We both lay dead still for a while, until I hear him shuffling around behind me. He hesitantly slips his arm around my waist dragging my body backwards into his. It's an innocent action, and I'm sure he thinks I'm asleep, which is sweet. I grow more comfortable in our position and move my hand to his shoulder, leading me to the realisation that he is shirtless, when all I can detect is his bare skin against my palm. I can feel myself blushing furiously red, and I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to force myself to sleep to evade the thoughts left lingering in my mind.

Hi guys, sorry this took so long to upload but I've redrafted it so many times and I'm still not sure if I like it. Nevertheless I hope you all enjoy! :))