10. The Last of the Witchwood and Wolfsbane

Sylvia Vermillion

I never thought I could become bored with something I'd never seen before. After two weeks on open water, I knew that sentiment to be a lie. The blues, greens and greys had been scenic, at first, but then the fifth day arrived, and nothing had changed. It was still a sprawling mass of sky and sea. Now, however, we were coming into Kaedenab. I couldn't wait to see the ground again. I was pretty sure the Aelderman shared my sentiment, he had been sick the whole time. His face had become more hollow, and his eyes were endlessly tired.

Adam slung his arm around Emmielia. Not being able to share a room together, had put a strain on them. But the nights were dark enough for them to sneak out without anyone noticing. Brandon was still stone-faced. A cold-hearted bitch. I never knew where I stood with him, it was as if one minute he liked me and the next he wanted to kill me. It seemed that way with most of the Northmen I had met so far.

The call for land soon rang out. Kaedenab was huge. The warehouses dominated the shore, with their brick red. Purchased into the hillside were the Manors with their blinding white. At least Kadenab was close enough to Esenian culture. We were yet to meet the mountains and forest. Where wolves still formed packs and didn't live in families. Some would beg, however, that a pack was a family. I wasn't quite sure on that, yet. I'd wait until Windgate to decide.

The plank we walked to reach the docks, was slippery and rotting. Adam had held Emmielia's hand on the way down. The Aelderman and Brandon tried to push each other off. I was left at the back, behind the sailors waiting to get off. They had the decency to wait for me, though I suspected that was for the horses that walked behind me. They made their way out of Kaedenab quickly. Almost as if they were running. I liked the business of the city. I had the feeling it was similar to Asimenia, and never truly slept. There were enough rich people that social life wouldn't be too alien to my own. It was also far enough from Esenia that not many people would know my face. Part of me wanted to stay, but it would be dangerous. Those who did know my face would use it. Blackmail was running through my mind. That'd be great for a Princess with no money. It would be better to follow them to Windgate and then onwards to the Witch Colonies.

We all mounted as we left through the Northern Gate. It was decorated with gorgons. Horrible creatures really, always wanted the skin off you bones. Hunai was carved into the mountains, there was no doubt. You only needed to go in any direction, and you'd find one. We rode hard. The silence was almost unbearable, after an hour, the cold began to set in. Something, my clothes weren't built for. Style, not warmth, had always been admired. I pulled my hood up and slipped my gloves on. It helped to numb the bite, but it was still nipping ferociously. Annoyingly, the Northmen were immune to it, even after spending a couple months in Asimenia.

The sun had risen for the second day. There was a slowness to the world as we woke with the sun. I had nearly gone mad with the cold. The Aelderman had taken pity and lumped one of his fur things on me. My stomach gnarled at me. I'd only eaten an hour ago, but it wasn't the food I wanted. It started with an itch. I rolled up my sleeve and bit my glove off to try and relieve it. It just wouldn't go away. Next was the cold sweat, I counted it on a cold, and pushed ahead. I began to shake all over. It was uncontrollable, and I was slowly dropping away from the group. Panic unfurled in my stomach. My tongue felt like lead. When was the last time I had wolfsbane? The world slowed and dropped. The snow was comforting, it cooled the sweat, but everything else was still going. I must have made a sound or something. Emmielia was soon racing off her horse and towards me, "What in the name of the Moon Goddess."

There was real panic in her eyes. It began to feed mine and the rest of the Northmen's' as they crowded around me. I moved my hand to write something in the snow. It was the only thing I could think to do. My letters were rushed and wobbly. But sure enough, I wrote Withdrawl in the snow.

"Princess, can you tell me what, you need to tell me what. It's the only way to help." the Alderman's voice was commanding.

"I, it's the wolfsbane from the attack, isn't it?" I drew a tick in the snow. The shaking got worse, so much worse, it was almost painful. I tried to steady my arm and added in Witchwood.

"Goddess that's a lot of shit in you isn't it..." Adam's voice was shaky and tried to bring relief to everyone. The world spun out of control. The black comforted me. Why did this have to happen in the middle of nowhere? I couldn't have held on for a little longer, could I? I had to always cause trouble for those who were helping me.

When I regained consciousness, I was cradled in the Aelderman's arms. It was warm and soft and safe. I wanted to fall back asleep, but the roads became more unkempt. They jolted me in and out of sleep. It was early afternoon, I could tell that much. The horse lurched suddenly, and I grabbed onto his arm tightly.

"Afternoon, Princess Sylvia," the Aelderman chuckled lightly.

"Afternoon Aelderman." I kept my grip on his arm, I turned my head to look to the other side of the road. It fell away, a river cut through the trees and mountains. The height made me feel even queasier.

"I wouldn't look down there, and you can call me Raymund, you've spent enough time in my arms to forgo formalities." his breathing slowed as we turned the bend, and I could sense him smiling.

"How long have I been out?" I asked quietly. I didn't want anyone else to know I was awake. The questions would be impossible to answer.

"About four days, you seem to spend most of your time sleeping when with us, Princess. We're about a days travel from Windgate." he swapped his hands on the reins and placed one firmly on my waist.

"Thank you, Raymund," I tested his name, "but I don't think I can sit on my own, so..."

"Don't worry, I won't let you go. Besides, my arms and chest are the only things keeping you upright at this moment. I wouldn't dream of letting you go, Sylvia." I had decided, I liked it when he spoke Hunain. It just suited his voice, so much better. It allowed for the lowness of his voice to seem natural and unforced.

I spent the rest of the day watching trees pass and quietly talking to him.