Chapter 17

Percy's POV

"I'm getting tired of torturing you," the girl muttered. We'd found out our torturers name was Kelli. She was second in command to the leader of the monsters, who we didn't know. She always walked around with a group of girls behind her.

"Really?" Annabeth asked, a flicker of hope in her voice.

"Maybe it's time to send you two to hell." Kelli smirked, running her knife down Annabeth's nearly bare back. Our clothes were basically shreds of fabric clinging to our bodies.

"What?" I was shocked, but I knew it was coming.

"Well that'll take a few days to arrange. We're awfully busy, you know." She slowly pressed her knife against Annabeth's skin. Annabeth let out a shriek of pain and struggled to get closer to me. I was bound away from her like everyday during beatings. They would let us go after.

"Stop, Kelli!" I couldn't take it anymore. "Just kill us!"

Kelli smirked. "What fun would that be? We'll do that later." She kicked Annabeth farther away, and advanced towards me. "You know, Jackson, I could pull some strings, get you in. You could work with me, and we could let her die. I wouldn't mind a puppet."

I scowled at her, ignoring the pain going through me. "Never. It's either both of us or neither."

"Really, Percy?" Her knife was dangerously close to my heart. "Is that the way you wanna go?"

Annabeth was a pile on the ground. Her hair was matted with blood and sweat. Her body was cut up and bloody, worse than mine. Yet, I picked her over Kelli. Kelli went harder on her because she knew it would kill Annabeth quicker. Then she would have me to herself. I wouldn't let that happen.

After what felt like hours, Kelli gave me one last kick and left, laughing wickedly. I crawled over to Annabeth, holding her body close to mine. Her breathing was even and steady, and it was the only thing that hadn't been destroyed. Annabeth stirred, and like usual, we got to work, cleaning up each other's wounds.

* * *

"They're on my tail. I had a cop followin' me around the other day."

"How did they find out?"

"I don't know, maybe one of our member tipped 'em off."

"The little shit that did it's gonna pay."

"What about the two? Maybe they know."

"Well..."

Voices sounded from outside our cell. With Annabeth's head on my lap, I pressed my ear against the door to hear what they were saying, but they walked away.

I finished up my bread, and I left half I of it for Annabeth. Her face was stained with tears, and her hair was sprawled on the ground around her. I didn't wake her, I just gently layed her head on the ground and layed down beside her, grabbing her hand. I felt her clutch it back subconsciously. I wrapped my arms around her weak and pale body, burying my head into her neck.

"Percy..."

I smiled. She muttered my name in her sleep.

My head spun, thinking up different scenarios, wishing we weren't in this hell hole, and dreaming about Annabeth. Amongst all that, I noticed something. Something that changed my view of this situation.

I didn't want to die.