❌ Sweet Caroline

Start from the beginning

"Do you wanna come home with me?" Jason asked.

She lit up and smiled, nodding. "Yeah!" And then she paused, hesitation clear on her face. "Wait. Um, first. I'm... I..." She opened and closed her mouth, seemingly at a loss for how to say what she wanted to. "Just, here," she grabbed his hand and pressed it between her legs and — oh, that was definitely a penis.

His surprise must have shown on his face, because she took a step backward, holding her arms up in front of her face defensively. "Please don't hurt me," she rushed out.

He slowly held his hands up. "I'm not gonna hurt you, I'm not mad." He moved his hand to cup her face, just as slowly, telegraphing his movement. "That's not a problem with me, sweetheart. I'm sorry anyone hurt you."

He was telling the truth, it really wasn't a problem with him what was in whoever he was hooking up with's pants, or their gender, for that matter — as long as he thought they were fairly attractive, that was pretty much all he cared about.

She relaxed her stance, though she still looked tense. "It's okay? Do you still want me to come home with you?"

"Yeah, baby." He bent to kiss her and she raised up on her toes to meet his lips. "Definitely," he said when he pulled back.

She smiled at him. "Lead the way."

He smiled back and grabbed her hand, pulling her with him toward the exit. "How did you get here?" He asked once they got outside.

"Uber."

"Hope you don't mind motorcycles then."

"Not at all."

He gave her his helmet, and she clung to him tightly as he took them to his closest safehouse.

"It's not the nicest place," he warned her.

She snorted and took his hand again. "That's okay. It's Gotham and you're practically a stranger, I know better than to expect much."

"Smart lady."

They went up the two flights of stairs and then Jason took the key from under the mat to unlock the door.

Caroline raised an eyebrow. "You're awfully trusting for a Gothamite. Key under the mat."

"Nah, I just ain't got shit to steal," he said.

And it was obviously true, the apartment was nearly bare.

Caroline tactfully didn't comment as he led her to the bedroom, although he'd noticed her posh accent and so surely she came from upper-middle class at the very least.

She sat herself down on his mattress on the floor, and Jason held up a finger. "Hold on one sec, I gotta find supplies. They're...around here somewhere I think."

"Been a while?"

"Been staying at a friend's place, not used to this place anymore." Close enough to the truth. God, he didn't even know if he had condoms and lube at this random fucking safehouse, but he fucking better.

He went into the bathroom and looked under the sink. Jackpot. Thank the universe for optimistic Jason of the past.

"Found them." He came back into the bedroom and set the condom and bottle of lube on the mattress, and kicked his shoes off, crawling between Caroline's legs, since she had taken her own shoes off and laid back on the bed.

He kissed her and she kissed back eagerly for a few moments before she pulled back. "Let's ditch the stupid sunglasses," she muttered, pulling them off his face and tossing them onto the floor beside the mattress.

Except when her head turned back to him, her eyes went wide. Jason moved to kiss her again, but she jerked her head back.

"Jason?" She asked, voice significantly lower with shock.

And that voice in this new register...sounded awfully familiar. Jason looked down into those weirdly familiar sky blue eyes and it clicked. "Tim?"

He paused and thought about everything Caroline had done all night. "Or. Um. Are...you Caroline? I won't tell anyone if you don't want me to."

Tim— Caroline— whoever, pulled their wig and wig cap off and tossed it onto the floor. "'S fucking uncomfortable," they muttered, and then bit their lip and looked away, running a hand through their short black hair. "I don't know," they finally said quietly. "I was...experimenting tonight. I think I'm a little of both."

"Oh," Jason said. "That's okay. What...what should I call you?"

They thought for a moment. "Could you just...avoid names? Call me pet names instead like you were?"

Jason's breath caught. "You want me to call you pet names? You're...still into this?"

"Yeah," they said shyly. "If you are?"

[...]