In the Midst of Turmoil

Y/n's pov

Naofumi is glaring down at Melty, after just telling her to get lost. Melty stared at him "Please wait! you have to hear me out!" Naofumi sat back down on the barrel, still glaring "I dont 'have to' listen to a word that comes out of you royals' filthy mouths." A knight opened the door "Melty-sama, his Majesty calls for you. Come with me" Melty looked at the knight before looking at Naofumi "very well. bye Filo-chan" Melty ran out towards the guard. I sighed and looked at Naofumi "Rifana, stay with Naofumi. . . . Naofumi, see you at the wave." I walked out, following after Melty. Filo called out "Mel-chan Y/n!" Naofumi spoke out to here "Filo." I didn't hear anymore as I closed the door behind me, looking over at Melty. "Hold up princess." The knights surrounding her turned towards me, pointing their weapons at me. Melty looked over and spoke "put your weapons down, He is a friend" the guards put their weapons down at her order and I walked up to her "Let us walk and talk, I'm sure your father isn't patient enough to wait longer than he wants to" she nodded and started walking, with me walking next to her. 

"so, what is it that you wanted to talk about Y/n?" "I wish to accompany you after the next wave of calamity ends." She looked up at me "Why? aren't you a part of the shield hero's party?" I sighed "I wont go into too much detail with so many untrustworthy people around. but I will be leaving the shield hero's party after the wave is over. and currently I have nowhere to go after I leave the party. I figured it would be best to find something of some importance, so being your companion or guard was my first idea" she nodded and frowned "It would be nice to have someone to keep me company, but I don't know if my father or mother would allow it." I smiled at her "Your father is most likely worried about your safety. I can easily prove that I can protect you. If he thinks the guards are enough to protect you, then the recent events involving you would prove otherwise." She nodded "I suppose that would work for my father, but I'm not so sure about my mother" "I would be able to talk to your mother when you go to report to her. Or we could see if the Shadow that has been following us could check for your mother's approval." Melty looked up at me in shock "you know about the shadow?" I nodded "I've noticed them watching since I first joined Naofumi's party. They seemed to be watching more when you showed up." She frowned "I didn't think anyone would be able to see them" "they wouldn't be easily spotted by regular people. but with training and experience people can sense even the shortest glance" she nodded and sighed "I guess I could have a shadow go and see about getting permission from my mom, if she says yes I would love to have you around" I nodded as we got up to the castle gates. 

Melty dismissed the group of guards around her and the all headed off towards one of the nearby towers. Melty walked though the door into the castle, but when I tried to follow her the guards by the doors pointed spears at me. I prepared to take them out but Melty called out "let him though, he is with me" The guards took the spears away and nodded, I could see them glaring at me under their helmets as I walked past them over to Melty. "thank you princess. I would have likely caused a scene if you hadn't spoke up" She frowned and nodded , looking ahead and walking quickly. I easily kept up with her speed, since she had shorter legs. We made it up to the doors leading to the throne room without speaking a word to each other. The guards opened the doors for her, allowing both of us in without any spear pointing. Melty walked closer to the thrones, with me walking a little ways behind her and to the side. 

She stopped walking and stood still at the same spot that the heroes stood during the ceremony after the first wave. She looked up at the king who sat at his throne and spoke "you wished to speak to me father?" He smiled at her "Yes my dear, I wished to catch up to you while you are here in the capital. We haven't spoken in so long. But first..." The king looked at me, a bit of disgust in his eyes and spoke "Who is this boy accompanying you." Melty looked at me and nodded to me. I nodded back and bowed slightly "My name is Y/n L/n. I am an acquaintance of the princess, that wishes to become her personal guard or companion with the permission of her mother. and hopefully given you consent as well." The king stared at me, putting a hand on his beard "He has some manners it seems... What make you think I should give you my consent to accompany my daughter? The guards and soldiers have done a fine job protecting her thus far." I stayed in my bow and spoke "I would be able to stay by your daughter at all times, no having to switch guards every so often or having her without a protector. I would also be keeping her company. Social interaction that your daughter doesn't get enough of during her travels. I also wouldn't lose sight of her when she goes off to play with filolial, Like what happened on her most recent travels"