Chapter 2 : Sketch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After Mel's tears began to cease Lily made her look her in the eyes.

"I will never let anything hurt you Mel."

"Never again?"

"Yes sweetie never again."

"That's what my friend said!"

Lily became confused.

"James?"

"No silly, the boy. I don't know his name."

Lily looked around suspiciously. She wondered if the sick boy was the one she was talking about. Her sister looked happy so she decided to ask where he was.

"He is standing right there!"

Melanie pointed toward the door in indication. The sick boy stood behind the door and sent shivers up Lily's spine. He was wearing a too big beige sweater and wrinkled brown pants. He seemed to be shaking.

"Come here little one."

Lily said softly and beckoned with her fingers.

He came up to her but looked scared. He held a sketchbook under his upper arm and a charcoal pencil in his left fist. He stood under the light which defined the dark circles under his eyes even more.

"What’s your name?"

The little boy just stood there and stared at his feet. He didn't once look up and meet Lily's eyes.

"Can you talk?"

The little boy nodded and flips open a white piece of paper in his sketchbook. He began writing on the sheet with his pencil.

My name is Brandon.

"Hi Brandon, my name is Lily."

He nodded in response and kept looking at his feet. His hand was shaking.

"So you like my sister? Is she your friend?"

He wrote on his sketchbook.

"Yes, she is my best friend. Can we play?"

Lily smiled.

"I will let you guys play alone, is that ok Mel?"

"Yeah, we will play that drawing game!"

Brandon looked up at Mel and smiled. He pulled another pencil from his pocket and sat next to her on the bed. Lily just said goodbye and walked out. At least her sister was happy. Lily looked around the living room. For some strange reason all she wanted to do was walk in her city, even if it was abandoned. James was sitting on an old couch playing a video game with Martin.

"Can I go out?"

Lily asked. James looked up startled.

"Ha ha! I beat you, yes sir!"

Yelled Matt. James looked upset. Jame"s figure on the screen was on the floor, blood spurting from his chest. Lily held in a giggle for the irony.

"Are you up to it?"

James asked.

"Yeah, I think so. I feel better and I really need to get out."

James and Martin thought about it.

"Take the bike outside, it’s chained up. The code is 1, 3, 4, and 5. Jackson had plowed a path to the city."

"Thanks!"