The Misunderstanding

Alice came from a busy week at work and barely had time to read any of the books she had bought at the London book fair last month. The big project that Promethean was engaged in was in the final stretch and Charlie and Leah needed her more than ever.

As a result, her time with Henry had decreased, which in a way was good. So she had time to better assess the discovery she had made with Leslie the last time she saw her; that she was falling in love with Henry Cavill.

The problem was not falling in love with him. The problem was falling in love again. Alice had already made this mistake once and ended up with a broken heart in a way that she thought was never possible to amend. But apparently, fate was playing a trick on her by making this feeling awake again within her by someone so public, desired and, why not, inaccessible to her.

She was not stupid. Henry was a sought-after actor. This free time he was having in London would not last long, much less this affair of them. Alice was sure that as soon as his next job started, she would be forgotten.

That thought saddened her and a tightening in her chest made her get up from her chair and go to the water cooler, which was in the corridor between her office and Charlie's.

"Are you alright?" Charlie's voice took her by surprise and, for a second, she thought it was Henry.

"Yes, I am. I was just distracted," she said, taking a sip of her water to cover her fright.

"I noticed that you are quiet, more reserved these days. Has something happened?" Charlie asked with the usual friendly smile.

Alice sighed. Charlie was a wonderful person. Would she ever have the courage to tell what was going on between her and his brother?

"Nothing much. Just silly things," she said with a bitter smile and Charlie walked away shortly afterwards, realizing that she didn't want to talk about it with him.

"Are you sure it's nothing?" Another voice, deeper and well known to Alice, resonated close to her ear, causing her to smash the disposable cup in her hands.

Turning towards Henry, Alice felt her heart beat faster when she saw the clear blue eyes staring at her, his wet hair falling in curls across his forehead and that smile that made her lose her ability to think and speak. It was then that she made a mental correction to herself: she was not falling in love with Henry - she was already in love with him. Damn it!

"Yes," she said, looking away and walking back to her office, being followed closely by him.

"Do you have any plans for tonight?" Henry asked, sitting on the edge of her table.

Alice looked towards Charlie's office and didn't see him there. She breathed a sigh of relief and replied to Henry, "Yes. Some friends are coming to my house today."

Henry raised an eyebrow suspiciously. "Male friends?"

Alice smiled, "My couple of friends that I got lost at the club, remember?"

Henry nodded slowly and leaned over until he was close to Alice's ear and said, "I had great plans for both of us today."

A shiver ran through Alice's body and she hoped that no one would enter her room at that moment. She was living proof that it was humanly impossible to resist Henry Cavill's charm.

"These plans are going to have wait, Mr. Cavill. It's my friend's birthday party today." Alice said trying to maintain a professional posture, in case someone showed up.

"Do you know that I even like it now when you call me Mr. Cavill?" teased Henry by touching her on the tip of his nose and getting up to leave Alice's office.