The Right Moment

Henry was waking up from a heavy sleep, and he could already feel that his head was heavy. He felt that Kal was lying beside him, but when he stretched out one of his hands to caress the dog's belly, he realized that the animal was much smaller and its fur much softer. He groped Kal with his eyes still closed trying to understand what was going on, to no avail.

He struggled with sleep to open his eyes and see which animal was in his bed until a meow was heard, and the events of the previous night began to return to Henry's memory as a flashback.

He was still in Alice's apartment, with just a towel around his waist and a hell of a hangover.

The cat got even closer to Henry and started rubbing its head on his chin.

"Good morning to you too, kitty" He said hoarsely sitting on the bed.

After the room stopped spinning, Henry arranged the towel around his waist and opened the door, being followed closely by his newest fan, Alice's cat.

He looked at the small, uncomfortable sofa where Alice spent the night, and she was no longer there, but from the smell of coffee and eggs from the kitchen, he assumed it was where she would be.

"Okay, Leslie! I'll do it next time."

Henry realized that Alice was talking to someone on the phone and decided to wait before entering the kitchen.

"Nobody. Yes, I came home alone. Because I'm not you when you were single, Leslie. Okay, bye!"

Henry laughed at Alice's reply, who apparently was talking to the friend of whom she got lost the night before. But what puzzled him about the conversation was the fact that she didn't say he was at her house. He knew several women who would not miss the chance to tell the seven winds that he was with them. Even more wearing just a white towel. But Alice did not do that.

With a smile on his face, Henry entered the small kitchen.

"Good Morning."

He saw the exact moment when Alice dropped the egg in her hands, on the floor.

"Oh, shit! Good morning."

Henry laughed softly, as he bent down with some sheets of paper towels in hand, to help Alice clean the floor.

"Are you always clumsy like that?" Henry asked, still laughing, remembering the mug of coffee she dropped on his body the night before.

And being so close to her, he also remembered that he almost kissed her seconds before that.

Alice's hair, which had previously been loose, was now tied in a loose bun, allowing a few strands to escape, shaping her delicate face. The dark brown eyes no longer had the makeup from last night, and they looked even bigger. And her full lips were in their natural pink tone, not the seductive red lipstick that had teased him all night by making him drink too much.

"When someone scare me, yes." Alice's voice took him out of his thoughts and he stood up, throwing the papers into the sink.

"Sorry."

Alice looked at him and then said, "No problem."

He saw her looking at his bare chest and blushing afterwards. Henry was amused and smiled again.

"As much as I like the towel, can I have my clothes back?" He asked playfully.

It took a few seconds for Alice to seem to understand what he had said to her.

"Oh, sure! Your clothes."

As she walked away towards the bathroom, where the dryer was, Henry watched her. She wore a loose T-shirt that hid the shape of her body that the black dress had revealed, and sweatpants that had once been black.

Henry was trying to understand why a woman as beautiful as Alice seemed to ignore appearances. Or maybe it was he who had spent too much time with people who only cared about it.

"Here it is. Everything's dry." Said Alice, bringing his clothes in her hands.

Henry thanked her, took the clothes and went back to Alice's bedroom to change. Already dressed, he started to notice the lack of furniture and the apartment of his employee. The property was in great condition, but she had almost no furniture, just boxes everywhere.

"Alice, how long have you lived here?" Henry asked back in the kitchen.

"Ten days." She responded by breaking another egg in the frying pan.

"And where did you live before?" Henry frowned. Suddenly, he felt a need to know more about her.

Turning off the coffee machine and taking two mugs out of the cupboard, Alice replied; "I rented a room in the suburbs. That's why I only have a decent bed. I still need to buy the rest of the furniture. The ones here are borrowed from my friend from yesterday."

'That explains the garden table in the kitchen' Henry thought.

Alice's eggs were done, and she placed two plates, forks and knives on the table.

Henry just watched her move from side to side, bringing butter, bread and cheese.

"Do you need anything else? Ham, sausages?" Alice offered, still standing.

"No, thanks. This is more than enough." Henry was grateful.

"Good, because that's all I have." Alice said, sitting at the table and taking a sip of her coffee.

"What do you mean?" Henry, who was also already seated, asked confused.

"I don't have ham or sausages." She replied with a shrug, taking small pieces of bread with her hands.

Henry laughed. Alice was really unusual.

The two talked casually while eating, and Venus strolled between Henry's legs, asking for attention.

After breakfast, Henry used Alice's cell phone to order a cab to the apartment where Charlie was during his stay in London. Now that the drinking was over, he could remember the address.

"Thanks for the help, Alice. And I'm sorry for stealing your bed." Henry said, approaching the door to Alice's apartment.

"No problem, Mr. Cavill. I hope you slept well, at least." Alice put one of her hair curls, which escaped her bun, behind her ear.

Henry looked at her seriously. "I already told you to call me Henry."

A shy smile appeared on Alice's face and Henry found it even more captivating.

"Okay, Henry." Said Alice embarrassed.

They both smiled and, after putting on his jacket and saying goodbye to Alice with a kiss on the cheek, Henry felt the same feeling as the night before. But this time, there was not a mug of coffee that could be dropped between them to interrupt the moment. Alice's eyes met his, and gently, Henry pressed his lips to hers. Seeing that Alice was not protesting, Henry increased the intensity of the kiss, running his right hand around Alice's neck, bringing her closer to him.

The softness and warmth of Alice's lips further fueled Henry's desire to deepen the kiss, and, moments after their tongues touched, making them taste each other, a notification on Alice's cell phone broke the kiss.

"Your cab arrived." She said softly, her lips still parted.

Henry leaned his forehead against hers and said goodbye, "See you Monday, sweet Alice."

And he went downstairs with his heart racing, but with a smile on his face.