Chapter 16

"So you're telling me we're going to the corridor where we're going to die "a very painful death"?" Alice questioned as they walked towards the third floor. She was met with nods from the rest of the group. She shrugged, "There is no death I would rather die."

As they walked, Harry explained how there was something very valuable but dangerous being guarded in the school and they were going to steal it. He refused to tell her more than that about it, saying that it was safer if she didn't know anymore despite how much she pleaded to know. Her job was to take down the warding surrounding the path to it without alerting the owner of said warding. It seemed simple enough despite the fact that she had never even tried anything like that before. Harry had assured her that with her "talents" it should be simple enough. She still wasn't certain but was always terrible at having a serious discussion in any form.

And no, her great amount of knowledge of everything didn't cover this and so she resorted to living life as a normal person, hating every second. She was frustrated that she knew every maths formula in existence in the muggle world, but her brain refused to tell her what was being hidden in a school, as well as the protection guarding it, when it was something that actually affected her.

As they approached the corridor, Alice stuck out her arm, halting the group. Ahead of her was a wall of colour, much like the one she had produced when she set the spell over the doorways in the Great Hall, except, as she inspected it closer, she noticed it seemed to be woven like strands of magic knitted together.

"Harry," she began, "when did you say you wanted to pull this heist?"

"Christmas break. Why?"

"Well firstly, I'm going home for Christmas so you'll have to work around that. Secondly, I assume that means you don't want me to start taking down the warding now?" She glanced over her shoulder at him.

"Solved: I apparate to you, then take you to Honeyduke's where we take the secret tunnel back into the school. We use the same method to get you back." Alice nodded, an impressed expression on her face. She decided not to question whether or not Harry could actually apparate but just went along with it. "And no, leave the warding for now, we don't want to leave anything to chance." Again, Alice nodded.

"Alright then, I'm going to go see how many layers of warding there is between here and the room you mentioned. Filch will probably be here soon so you might want to go back to your chess club. Except for you, Weasleys. You're coming with me." Alice turned back to the warding with a look of disgust. There was something familiar about it, but then again, she must have seen every person in the school's magical signature so didn't think too deeply on it. But this magic was truly ugly and she didn't say that about anyone's really; it was deep grey-blue with dark purple splotches and hues of brown all over."Whose warding did you say this was again?" She asked as she turned back to the group.

"Dumbledore's." Harry smirked.

Alice raised an eyebrow at him but didn't question why they were stealing from the headmaster. Instead, she held her arms out for the Weasley's to loop their arms through.

"Why can the twins go?" Theo asked from the back of the crowd.

Turning her head over her shoulder, Alice winked at the group, "We're the Weasley Triplets. Trouble-making is what's expected."

Alice took a deep breath as the trio waited for the group to retreat to a safe distance. "Ready George?" Asked the voice to her left.

"Of course. Ready Alice?"

"Definitely. Ready Fred?"

"To die "a very painful death"? Always."

And with that, they stepped through the first barrier.