Mirror Mirror, Part 1/4

Start from the beginning

     "See that? Even the frog can't stand your whistling anymore," Eugene says to Lance.

     "Oh yeah? And what does the little greenie-weenie know about music?" Lance shouts. "He doesn't even have ears!"

     Can they stop arguing for one minute? Varian thinks. Trying to calm down, he starts whispering again: "Seven, two, four, five, eight, seven, zero, zero, six, six..."

     "What are you even doing?" Cassandra shouts, rounding on Varian.

     "I'm reciting the decimal places of pi," Varian replies. "It helps me focus and keeps my mind sharp. I'm past three-hundred!"

     "Yeah, that's great," Cassandra says sarcastically. "Do ya mind doing it a little quieter? Or not at all?"

     "And do you have to keep twirling your bandana like that?" Eugene adds. "Just leave it alone!"

     "Why does everyone suddenly care what I do?" Varian shouts, as Ruddiger jumps in front of him, hissing defensively.

     Ignoring their squabbling, Rapunzel begins sketching in her journal again.

     "And you with the scratching," Cassandra says to the princess. "What could you possibly be drawing in that journal now?!"

     Rapunzel glares at her. "Well, I would try to explain it, but you clearly know nothing about art!" She slams her journal shut, but then feels bad about her outburst. "Okay, that was mean. I'm sorry. I'm sorry, look... I know our little ticks are getting on each other's nerves because we are all stuck in here together. But on the bright side, we're all in here together! So, let's just have some fun with it."

     That's Rapunzel, Varian thinks, not sure whether he finds what the princess is saying more inspiring or annoying at this moment. Always finding the bright side in every situation.

     Seemingly indifferent, Lance whistles yet again.

     "Lance, if you do not stop whistling I will throttle you!" Rapunzel shouts, slamming her fist on the table.

"So much for having fun with it," Varian remarks.

     All of a sudden, the caravan lurches and comes to a halt as the horses neigh with fright. Rapunzel rushes outside, covering herself from the rain with her cloak. She realizes that one of the wheels is stuck in the mud, and a large tree has fallen directly in their path. She heads back inside, and reports the news. "Well, it's official... We are stuck."

     "I guess we'll just have to wait out the storm in here," Cassandra says.

     "Or, maybe not..." Rapunzel says, gazing out the window. Through the rain, Varian can just make out the shape of a weird building that resembles a seashell nearby.

     "Where did that come from?" Varian wonders. They haven't seen a building for miles, and one seemingly appears out of nowhere when they need it most? Something is strange about this situation...

 They haven't seen a building for miles, and one seemingly appears out of nowhere when they need it most? Something is strange about this situation