The Question

In the three years we have know each other Gulf and I have never managed to spend the full day together on our birthday. Hopefully, I can change that in the future, but I need him to remain busy today as I try to keep my plan moving smoothly.

Gulf's POV

It is my birthday today and I have just completed my schedule. I arrive home and find a note on the door. "Go upstairs." It says. At the top of the staircase is a second note. "Remove your clothes, put on the robe, and meet me in the bathroom." I place my palms on my face as a rush of heat flushes my skin. "Owh." I wonder what P'Mew has planned. I enter the bathroom and the bathtub is surrounded by rose petals. A basket of bath products sits at the side of the tub with a note attached. "You've had a long day baby. Fill the tub with water and relax. The next instructions will be in the bedroom when you are done." This man. I think to myself. I must have earned a lot of merit in my last life to deserve him. I fill the tub with hot water, bath salts, and bubbles. I lean back on the head rest and let the scent and heat relax me. When I am done, I drain the tub and, wearing the towel provided, I enter the bedroom. A suit lays across the bed. "I have scheduled an incredibly special dinner for us. Put this on, the car will be waiting downstairs when you are ready." The note says.

I shake my head and smile before making myself handsome for my man. I go downstairs and when I open the door, a black limo is waiting for me. The driver hands me a bouquet of sunflowers. "Oh God." This brings back so many memories. I enter the car holding the bouquet in my arms. I hold it the whole ride, my fingers caressing the bright petals, reminiscing.

"We are here sir." The driver says as he hands me a note and a swatch of black fabric. The note says "Please put this one. I am waiting for you on the other side of the door." I tie the blindfold carefully to prevent it from crumpling my hair, then I reach for the bouquet on the seat next to me. A click sounds and I feel a slight rush of air enter the car. I hear movement and then a voice whisper in my ear "Happy birthday Boo. I hope you are enjoying everything I have arranged." He chuckles and sniffs my neck before assisting me out of the car. Then he places my hand into his arm and gives me careful instructions as we walk to out destination.

I am instructed to stand in place and the bouquet is removed from my arms. "Keep your eyes closed." Mew says as he stands behind me and removes the blindfold, then his arms surround my waist. I never get tired of this feeling, being surrounded by him, his touch, his smell. I allow my body to relax into his arms placing my hands above his. I want so desperately to turn, to rest my head on his shoulder and tell him how much I love him, how much he means to me, but I do not know where we are. I can only trust in him and go with the plan. He holds me in place for a brief minute then he says, "Open your eyes Tue Aeng." His hands hover in front my face and blurs my vision. Then he removes it, and I am standing in his parents house surrounded by our families. They are all dressed in formal clothes as twinkle lights glisten around the room that is set up like a 5-star hotel. "Happy Birthday Gulf." They shout as confetti rains down on us. "Owh!" I shout in surprise as laughter explodes out of me. Then everyone becomes quiet and I realize that P'Mew is no longer standing besides me. I turn, looking for him, and I get another surprise. "P'Mew ahh." I say reaching for him. "What are you doing?" Tears fill my eyes. He is...kneeling in front of me, a small box in his hands, with two rings inside. He reaches his other hand to hold mine. "Gulf." He says. "When I signed up to audition for Tharn/Type I was not in a good space mentally. I had gone through something that hurt me so badly and I was trying to hold onto my career and recover. I never thought that day meeting you that day, would lead to this. When I first met you, I thought you looked so cold, arrogant, but as I got to know you, I realized that you were nervous. It was so much fun to be with you. Playing with you, working with you; you lowered my walls. You put your trust in me and I found myself wanting to be that protector for you. I know that the road will not be easy, that we still have so much to work on, so much to learn, but I want to spend the rest of my life with you, as your partner, your friend, your love, and when the laws change, your husband. Will you spend your life with me?"

I am stunned. I feel tears overflow my eyes and run down my cheeks. My body is trembling as I listen to his words. "Phi!" I exclaim. "Yes." "Yes Phi." I drop to my knees and throw myself into his arm allowing myself to be comforted by his touch. I pull away and take his face in my hands. "I love you Mew ahh." "You have no idea how scared I was that first day, after we were chosen. I was not sure that I could do it. Everyone's expectation was so big, and I felt so small. Then you approached me, befriended me, and I just felt so at ease. You felt like home and I fell for you. I didn't recognize it at first; all I knew was that I desperately wanted to spend everyday with you, being your partner, growing with you. I love you. Thank you so much for loving me back."

Mew stands and assists me to my feet then I see the rings. White gold with row of diamond for me and a double row for him, and on the inside of each is an engraved word. Tue Aeng in mine, and Tiirak in his in memory of that day when the interviewer asked us what we would call our lover. He takes my hand in his and slides the ring onto my left ring finger, then I do the same for him. I lean into him and our foreheads touch as we hold each other, smiling. Our family surrounds us shouting in celebration and joy. Apparently, they also received a surprise; the invitation only mentioned a surprise birthday party.

 Apparently, they also received a surprise; the invitation only mentioned a surprise birthday party