Prologue

(Seventeen years previously)

Trees groaned and danced in the fierce wind.

The smell of heavy rain clouded Orion's nose, making it almost impossible to breathe, but he did not stop running. Something was out here; he could sense it.

The alpha's black paws trudged through the sludgy mud. His fur was soaked with water, making it weigh double of what it normally felt like, and his eyes watered up from the sharp, frigid air. 

I did not come miles away from my pack for nothing, he thought to himself, a low growl growing within him. I know there's something. 

Orion skidded to a stop and scented the air as much as he could, despite the other smells dissipating his senses. He smelled something; there within the strong ones; the weakest little smell of someone

He let out a yap, hoping for a distant response. 

Nothing happened. 

Come on, he pleaded. 

The search was like looking for a needle in a haystack. It was nearly impossible. 

Suddenly, Orion's ears twitched. 

It was calling. 

He strained his ear to hear it.

"Waoa," a voice squeaked from afar. 

The diligent alpha kicked into auto-drive. His paws instantly sprang into action, propelling himself toward the quiet sound. 

I'm coming, he thought. Please stay alive.

After moments of blindly running towards the origin, Orion came to a sudden stop. 

In front of him lay a small, round, pink shape. 

A baby.

Around the little child was a thin circle of burned grass, almost as if it was protecting it. 

The wolf stepped towards the tiny, naked girl, who was shivering uncontrollably. She looked a few months old. 

He sniffed her and licked her cold face, letting his warm tongue give her a feel of comfort. 

On her wrist, the word 'West' burned into her skin. It looked fresh, as if it was just done.

Alpha Orion gently picked her up in his jaws, eyeing the circle of ashes suspiciously. 

Ashlyn, he decided as he felt the weak baby hang out of his warm mouth. Ashlyn West. I will keep you safe...but your life is about to change.

How's the debut prologue? I'll admit, it was a little rushed and a bit short, but I hope you all keep reading and find out what happens!