Fight for the Future

Percy POV-

I stood side by side with Annabeth, like we had done many times in battle before. She pulled at her sword, just in time.

The traitors attacked us. Knowing I couldn't kill them, not that I wanted to, they were still demigods, but had been tricked into evil, I outmaneuvered them. I hit them with the hilt of Riptide and knocked them unconscious. I felt pain doing this, knowing it could've been any one of us, and even though they weren't dead, it pained me. I felt a hand grab mine and I immediately recognized that touch. I looked over at Annabeth and we had a short conversation with no words. I knew we were thinking the same thing though. We had to get to Luke. I could see him in the middle of the battlefield.

I let go of Annabeth's hand as we ran as quickly as we could to him, of course, we couldn't have just made it straight there. A group of demigods and monsters swarmed us. Annabeth turned herself so we were back to back, like we had done at the battle of Manhattan. We fought through the swarm, turning the monsters to dust and knocking demigods out. We made our way to the middle of the group. I saw Luke there, he seemed to be fighting with himself about what was good and what was bad. I saw this when Kronos had taken over him, but this was different. Kronos hasn't embodied him yet...

Luke was still Luke.

"We gotta get him back Percy," Annabeth whispered to me. Actually, it wasn't a whisper, it was a yell, but over all the battle noises it was quiet.

"We will. Don't worry," I reassured. She looked at me and sighed in relief, knowing I wouldn't break that promise.

She nodded and we surged forward to him.

"Luke!" Annabeth yelled. He whipped around, recognizing her voice.

"What do you want?" He asked bitterly. she was a bit taken back by the way he spoke with her. I watched her face morph into pure anger and her body go tense. I rested a hand on her shoulder and she softened up a bit, but she still looked angry.

"What do you mean what do I want?" She snapped. Now it was his turn to be surprised. "You promised family, Luke. You promised."

He stared at her for a moment and I could see him almost go gentle, his blue eyes softened as he looked at her. For a second, I thought we had changed him for now. I believed we had done our job. Of course, nothing was that easy.

"Ethan, get over here, let's tie 'em up!" Luke ordered, looking around the area for Ethan. I saw Ethan Nakamura make his way over timidly, scared to disappoint Luke. I took this moment while Luke's head was turned to make my move. I tried to rip the helmet he was wearing off and knock him out with my sword, but as soon as the helmet was off, he pulled out a sword of his own. He didn't have Back-Biter yet, which was a great thing. I dove to the ground as he swung at me, managing to leave a small cut along the side of my ribs. It bled a bit, but nothing worse than what I've gotten before in my demigod life.

Annabeth charged at him as I climbed off the ground. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone that I never thought I'd see again. Bob. He was fighting on our side, next to Nico. I almost cried right then and there as I got the flashback to Tartarus. I shuddered and cleared my head.

Luke and Annabeth were fighting each other, neither too eager about it. I could tell that they were going a bit easier on each other, I could see it in her eyes that Annabeth truly didn't want to hurt him. I could see the same thing in his.

I stepped in and Annabeth looked at me sternly, telling me to go so she could fight. But I could see that behind that she was hiding that me stepping in was what she truly wanted.

I slashed my sword at Luke, he parried it with his own. I knew he knew all the Greek moves, so it would be easy for him to block those. He didn't know Roman ones though. When I started using those it seemed to have caught him off guard. He wasn't sure how to block the new moves, no one had ever used them on him and he was never taught. I looked next to me and saw Annabeth now fighting Ethan.

"Luke, you gotta listen to me," I said, still fighting him. "Your dad still lives you. The only reason he hasn't spoken to you is because he's  known about your future."

"You're lying," Luke said, "the gods don't love their children Percy, they don't."

"This isn't you, Luke. This is Kronos messing with you," I said.

"This is me!" He argued, "and I hate the gods."

"Kronos uses you. He's only trying to use your body so you can fight me. After that, he leaves and you'll die."

Luke looked taken back for a moment. "What?"

"He's using you, Luke."

For a second I thought I saw the evil gleam in his eye lost, he was about to put down his sword.

"That doesn't matter, the gods don't care. My mother tried to become the oracle and no one tried to stop her. She's now crazy."

"Your dad tried to. He did. He loved you, he still does."  Tears formed in his eyes as he realized his mistakes.

I looked around the area to make sure everyone else was doing fine. I saw many monsters turned to dust, many demigods laying unconscious. I quickly scanned the area for the rest of my friends from the future. I saw them bruised and bloody. Annabeth stood at my side, Ethan was unconscious on the ground. She looked to see the wound on my side and I saw her face become worried at the bit of blood running from it.

Luke's blade clunked to the ground. "I'm sorry," he apologized, "I'm so sorry."

Annabeth took a few steps forward and wrapped him in a hug. I felt a bit of jealousy but shoved the feeling aside. I knew she didn't like Luke like that, also he was from the past.

"I'm so happy you're back to you," Annabeth said as she pulled away. He smiled at us.

I looked around the area as it dissolved from around me. Suddenly, I was on the past Olympus, the rest of the futures with me. The Twelve Olympians stared down at us.

"You have completed your challenge!" Zeus boomed. I resisted the urge to yell when have we not?!

"To thank you we will send you back to your own time."

"That's really nice of you, considering we never asked to come back here anyways," I said. Annabeth looked at me and smacked my arm, but I could see she was trying not to laugh. I looked over at my dad's throne, he was smirking.

"Was that sarcasm?" Zeus warned.

"Father, Percy didn't mean it," Jason said, giving me a warning glare. 

Zeus stared at me for a minute, maybe considering how I'd look charred from a lightning strike.

"I'll send you back, erase the memory of the people of the past, and you are not to tell people of the future about this event. The only people at camp who know are you and Chiron.

Suddenly, we were back to where we were started when time froze. I was right back to the game of twister with Annabeth, Reyna, Frank, Hazel, and Thalia. We toppled over each other being off balance.

"We should probably go check to make sure everyone back to not being frozen," Reyna said, standing up from the top of our pile.

We walked outside and saw campers rushing around. I sighed in relief. The future hadn't changed. We sent a quick IM to the others at Camp Half-Blood and asked them how it was going.

I hoped for a long time of relaxation. Maybe a break so I could survive and go to college in New Rome with Annabeth next fall.

Thank you all for reading this book. I started it in the summer, unsure of how it would do because I'm fairly new to writing. It means so much that I got 50K reads already. I love you all! Thanks for the comments and votes.

Sadly this is now over, I'll miss writing it, but it's time to move on. You can check out my other books if you want to.