Chapter 36

Haneul watches as Dr Kim carefully arranges her food on the table, helping her get up from the bed so that she can eat. He then goes to the windows, pushing the curtains open letting the bright afternoon sun beams into the dim room.

"You have been gloomy a few days", he takes the seat on the chair beside her bed. "Did you fight with Haru again?"

 "Did you fight with Haru again?"

"No...", she laughs bitterly, staring at her lunch.

"Did something happen?"

"Dr Kim", she reaches for her spoon, but then she puts it back and looks up at him. "Do you think.... secrets are better kept in order to protect someone?"

"Secrets?", he rests his elbows on his thighs, leaning forward. "What kind of secrets?"

"A secret that might change....a lot of things"

Dr Kim studies her face,  concern at the way she looks like she has lot in her mind. "Haneul, is something bothering you?"

"A lot", she sniffles a sob, closing her eyes  trying to stop herself from crying. "Too much"

"Do you want to talk to me about it?", he asked, sitting at the edge of her bed. "I can listen to you, if you want to talk about it"

"I do", she sighs heavily. "I think I can only talk to you about this"

Dr Kim nods softly, signalling he is listening.

"Do you remember how hurt Haru was when she found out about Areum?", her teary eyes flutters as she looks at him. "I remember, and my heart shattered"

Dr Kim said nothing as he nods, knowing eyes looking at her. He remembers how Haru looked so hurt that night and how she had run off from all of them. His heart still hurts seeing her in such state, and now he wondered if this has something to do with Haru again.

"Do you think God will forgive me if I ever hurt her again? Do you think this why I am sick? Because I keep hurting the person that loves me the most?"

"Don't say that...."

"Dr Kim, I think you will hate me too"

"What are you saying?", he looks baffled now. "Haneul, what are you—"

"I am her sister"

It took him a few seconds to let that four simple words register in his head, trying to make sense of them. But he failed thus he ends up looking at Haneul with empty eyes.

"W-What are you talking about?"

"I am Haru's sister.", her voice shakes as she speaks. "Dr Kim, I am her real sister. I am the first daughter of the family. I not her actual cousin"