The writer and the Star:Again

It had been three weeks since their last meeting. Tomas sent a message asking Roy to meet him at the cafe.

This time, Tomas was sitting outside in the backyard of the cafe. It was his secret place to chill with his friend, the owner. Tomas asked Amy to lead Roy to where he was sitting when he came in.

When he heard a chatter coming closer, he stopped playing on his phone and looked up.

Roy was wearing a crisp white shirt and some light blue denim. He was casually talking to Amy, smiling at her. He is a charmer outside, he is just awkward in the movie set, Tomas thought to himself.

"Hey!", Roy exclaimed, removing his sunglasses and placing it carefully on the table before dragging a chair and sitting on it.

"Hey!", What's up? Tomas responded.

Roy smelled like a fresh garden of roses mixed with some Oud. Tomas wanted to draw him in closer and sniff out the smell on him, holding him closer to his nose.

Roy sat down and looked at him confused.

"My regular please", Tomas looked at Amy, smirking at her.

After a pause, he added, "No, two of those". He didn't even wait to hear if that's what Roy wanted.

"Is it about a new movie or something? I mean you called me to meet?"

"I can call you only about the movie?" Tomas retorted.

Roy looked at him, even more confused than he was already.

"Well, ahem, I don't know. I thought it was about the movie."

"I was just bored and I could use some company. We can be friends right?".

"Well, yes, I guess". Roy answered with a lot of suspicion.

There was a minute or two of silence that followed. Roy was getting more and more uncomfortable with the calm and he was pondering what to ask Tomas, when he asked out of blue.

"The girl you were with last time, are you two dating? I mean she looked nice."

Roy felt his insides churning in fury before he answered.

"Yes, we are. Why? Were you interested in her?"

Tomas looked displeased to hear his answer. Roy wanted to smack his head for calling him out to just ask this. He took an hour and a half to get this right. Jasmine has been on FaceTime all the while through his multiple dress and hairstyle changes. He felt himself grinding teeth and clenching his jaw.

On second thought, no one can blame Tomas. Jasmine is definitely the best girl anyone can be with. He wasn't new to all men throwing themselves at her all the time.

He suddenly felt the urge to cry. He didn't know how or why, he just wanted to cry his hearts out. He felt scared to look at Tomas's face. He was sure he would break out crying if he looked at him.

"Here you go, guys ", Amy came in placing two cups of coffee in front of them. She also placed a small plate of brownies in front of them saying "on the house" while grinning childishly at Tomas.

Roy grabbed the coffee quickly and started slurping it without minding his tongue burning.

"Ouch!!, it's too hot, please be careful, Sir", Amy cautioned but it was too late.

Tomas was looking at him intently scrunching his nose a little noticing his change in demeanour. He said calmly,

"I am not trying to hit on her. No need to be angry. I was just wondering. Friends can ask each other about their relationships, right?"

"Well then what about you and Angel? Are you guys together?"

Roy asked, still fuming.

Tomas let out a chuckle before answering,

"No. We are not. We are just friends."

This calmed Roy a little. He felt reassured and back into his senses. He felt himself blushing a little and even he couldn't understand his reaction after almost-about-to-punch-Tomas-in-the-gut moments.

"About the movie, I remember you saying you wanted to take a break. So before asking you to do something, I wanted to know if you really wanted to be a writer." Tomas started again.

"I don't know. I am not sure. I had a specific reason I decided to be an Assistant writer in your last movie. I mean...hmm.. I wanted to know how the cinema works", Roy said with a brief pause.

"But after the movie, I realised I quiet like it. I like the way I can express my thoughts on paper. I also like how I can put myself in someone else's shoe and think like them".

After a brief pause, he started again.

"I like how through others, I mean using them as a medium, I can express some of my feelings as well. I am happy knowing that a lot of people can feel it and relate to it, I mean it's still my feelings".

He scratched his head, thinking about what he was telling looking worried if Tomas understood what he is saying.

"That's the reason why I act. Like, even though just for a brief time, I can pretend to be someone else. Show some emotions which I wouldn't show otherwise. Make people feel and react the way I feel. I get to live my emotions through someone else which makes me feel secure and safe than if it was me", Tomas said assuring Roy what he said makes sense and Roy felt relieved to be understood.

"In that case, I can actively look for something. I just wanted to make sure," Tomas added.

"How about the photography? You enjoy that too?".

"Yes, a little bit. Well, last time, the photographer was a close friend and he needed an assistant. So it was just a favour. But yes, I enjoy photography".

Tomas looked at him again smiling. He was blowing at the coffee cup, making a bow out of his pink lips.

Those damn, full lips.

Tomas wanted to bite them so hard and he knew if he kept looking at it, he wouldn't be able to help himself. He looked away, clenching his fists hard.

Roy was no more uncomfortable or thinking about Tomas's interest on Jasmine. He was gulping hardly at Tomas'schest that he could see through the open buttons of his black shirt.

He had to leave fast or else, he knew he was in deep trouble. Even more than he already was. He had to run. He didn't know how, he had to run away from Tomas or else he knew he would die from anxiety. He shouldn't go next time if Tomas calls. He should stay away from him, at any cost.

Run. Run. Run.

His racing heart kept shouting from inside make him want to disappear from there and everywhere.