The cafe

When Tomas reached the cafe, it was already empty. It was close to midnight and he couldn't get any sleep thinking about the plight Luna and Max were in.

Even though it was quiet dark outside, he wore an oversized sun glass and a small hat trying to hide his face from people.

It was a cafe he frequented to and the employees were well aware not to bother him and create a ruckus when he comes in. His friend owned the place and they had received strict guide lines on that.

As soon as one of the waitresses saw him, she motioned him towards the empty chair in the corner. He placed himself in the comfortable chair, started scrolling through the phone. He was slightly smiling at all the praises his fans gave at his Instagram pictures.

"Here you go, Tomas"

The friendly waitress, Amy, brought in his coffee smiling as coyly as she can. He knew of her eager eyes but he was appreciative she always kept her demeanour around him professional.

"Thank you, Amy"

he smiled at her hoping she wouldn't stay longer.

That's when a couple entered the otherwise empty cafe. The girl seemed a little drunk, holding onto the guy's torso giggling all the way in. Out of habit, he slowly tipped his hat trying to hide more of his face.

Usually in these scenarios, the girl would be so excited to meet Tomas asking the boy friend to click a couple of pictures with him, while the boyfriend gently obliges. They used to  act so exited around him and he never understood what would be going on in the boyfriend's mind then. Were they fine with their girl being all coy around another man?

"One cup of chamomile tea and an Americano please".

Wait, he recognised the voice.

That's when he suddenly looked up and saw the taller figure with her was Roy.

He saw the way she was holding on to him gently resting her head on his chest. Roy seemed so comfortable around her. The pair slowly receded to an empty chair in the other end of the cafe. Tomas started getting those weird palpitations again, he wanted to get up and leave and stay and watch them all at the same time.

She looked at the girl again. She was pretty. She had a small face with big eyes that were looking at Roy like a little kid. She wore a pair of sweat pants and comfortable T shirt with minimal make up. Hair held in a messy bun with a few strands falling on her thin neck and prominent collarbones. The two of them seemed quiet close and comfortable around each other which frustrated Tomas even more.

He was seeing this side of Roy for the first time too. He was eagerly talking to her in a chirpy, happy tone. He couldn't believe the shy, awkward guy who used to launder around the set all day could talk like this. It felt like both of them were in their magical bubble and they didn't care even a bit about what's going on in the outside world.

"Roy, how are you?"

He couldn't believe his own audacity getting up and going towards the happy couple. He didn't care about being found either, he slowly removed his sunglasses as he walked towards them.

Roy looked up and the shock in his eyes were clearly visible.

"Mm..mm..ah, hi, I am good, you?"

He became a little shy and awkward again, trying to collect himself. The girl with him awed herself in recognition and she slowly tugged at Roy's shirt urging to be introduced.

"Argh, hmm, this is Jasmine, my friend".

"Hi, Jasmine. You guys seem like a lovely couple, I just came to say hi seeing Roy around. Sorry to bother you, I was about to leave".

"It's no problem, Tomas. You can join us if you would like" she said pointing towards the chair opposite to the pair.

She didn't sound the way other girls sound around him. She was firm, gentle and collected, an elegant demeanour. He felt even more anger towards her and Roy seeing her polite behaviour.

He looked at Roy hoping for some sort of permission, but Roy was still perplexed and he seemed like he didn't want to be bothered. Tomas didn't care, he wanted to be around them for a little while even though it had started slowly poisoning him from inside.

"Roy told me a lot about you. Does this shy guy talk to anyone on the set?"

She asked trying to pull Roy's strings.

"Arghm, No, he doesn't talk much. But he is sorta fun when he is alone", even Tomas couldn't believe what he just said.

Jasmine suddenly chuckled and nodded in agreement.

"Yes, he is fun when he is alone", pulling on his hand even stronger.

They talked a little longer after this, Jasmine making fun of Roy all the way, while he just sat there, smiling uncomfortably. Roy was back to the self Tomas knew and it made him feel a little comfortable and jealous at the same time.

"I should get going, are you in any of my next movies?", Tomas asked Roy ever so gently.

"No, I am not doing any projects at the moment. I am taking a short break."

Tomas felt disappointed.

"Do you want me to help you find one?" He offered.

"Ah, no, it's just that I felt I needed a short trip with my friends before I do another movie."

The truth was he did writing only to meet Tomas and being around him was taking a toll on Roy. Even though he really enjoyed writing and wanted to continue doing it, he realised he couldn't be around Tomas any more without dying from anxiety.

"Oh, still, just give me your number, I will drop you a message, if something comes by".

Tomas scratched his head and felt embarrassed about his sudden brevity. Gladly, the pair didn't notice Tomas blushing a little.

Roy gave the number and he called him at the same instant. He cut the call in satisfaction after hearing those two rings.

"I will call you",

He got up and said bye to Jasmine, still smiling looking at him. He slowly disappeared after waving good bye to a blushing Amy.

He drove back to his home in some sort of daze, he couldn't really concentrate on the road. He felt anger, jealousy, happiness all at the same time.

After a shower, he got inside his blanket trying to close his eyes forcefully when the phone gave a small buzz. Languidly, he opened the phone to see a message from Roy.

"Hey, thank you for coming up to me today. After thinking a little, I think, I should take you up on that offer, let me know, Good night. :).

Tomas semi-jumped from his bed and after calming himself down by slowly talking to himself, he replied.

"Sure man. I will let you know, Good night. :)"