20 - Ambitions

"It is," Lucy said, "Well, using your own skill set to make a living, no matter how small, is pretty respectable. I can't say the same for myself, however. My reasoning is a bit. . .childish."

"Oh?" Worm blinked her eyes and looked her over. "You should be about the same age as me, seeing as Eclipse doesn't allow that much of a biological difference from your actual self, right? I'm supposing you're likely 14, yes?"

". . .you're correct. . ."

What she said was entirely correct.

When first creating an account onto a VR Helmet, there were procedures you had to go through and input as data into the system. Then, using your face and irises as recognition, that particular helmet could only be activated and used by yourself. Partly for online safety reasons, partly for the safety of the players themselves, it was law that avatars couldn't differ too much, biologically, from the person's actual self.

You could look however you want, but you couldn't change your height by more than 5 inches nor your gender from male to female or vice versa.

On one note, there was initial outcry. On another note, full-dive technology was still a budding thing and—even with the betas and testing—no one had yet to fully understand the consequences of extended use. Cat-fishing. Addiction. Escapism. An inability to differentiate your real self from your avatar. Many problems could easily arise without careful thought. So, for now, the law was accepted as a necessary evil.

Worm was really smart. A bit scary, really. Lucy couldn't help but shudder at her intellect. Or maybe it wasn't intellect, more along the line of observation skills. Partnered with her desire to test the game, Worm might as well be the Sherlock Holmes of gaming, she thought. The girl in question lightly smiled as the two walked, Lucy leading the way.

"Just so you are aware, I've been called that before," Worm said.

"Huh?"

"The 'Sherlock Holmes of Gaming'. . .I've been called that before. As a nickname."

". . .how the heck did you know that was what I was thinking?"

Worm merely chuckled.

"Anyway, as I see it, I don't think you need any respectable reason for playing this game," The girl stated.

Lucy nodded. "That's true. I mostly just want to create legends in this game. It's been my dream, actually. Leave my mark on the gaming world."

Reality was reality. A virtual world was a virtual world. In a sense, nothing was challenging for her in real life. Though she was a bit lazy at school, she was smart enough to not struggle. Though she was now an orphan, she was rich enough to where troubles never came her way. In Eclipse, though she would forever continue to curse at the developers, it was reassuring that she could charge head-long into it.

"Aren't you already a legend? Being the first to die and all?" Worm cocked her head.

"Gah! No! Are you a ditz? I don't want a negative mark."

"Alright alright," The girl chuckled. "Then why don't I help you?"

Lucy raised a brow. "You'll help me? Why?"

Worm shrugged.

"Why not? Whether you're lucky or not, you seem to find yourself first in quite a bit of things in this game. Aside, there's also never a dull moment partying with you and. . .you don't mind my eccentricities. I think we can help each other. You earn legends. I write articles. They're not something secular from one another."

They stopped before a two-story inn.

"Plus, in honest, we can help each other. Your personality against mine. As I've said, I think we work well together."

Lucy couldn't decide if she were being complimented or not. Either way, she supposed, since they had already decided to be partners in the game world, it was already set in stone that they would be working together.

"Plus. . .I'm not good with crowds of unknowns and, in a game where I'm bound to interact with other players, you can save me in those situations. . ." Worm averted her eyes.

Lucy narrowed her own. "Huh? What? Did you just make me your personal spokesman?"

". . .maybe?"

She tched. "You tsundere."

"Wha—don't call me that!"

Lucy ignored the blushing Worm and stepped into the inn.

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/vwKhVUR

Wanna help keep my motivation up? Vote

Want more interesting stories? Check out my profile.