13. Waynes story

"Now it's war outside (yeah)
Get your ass inside (inside)
If you ain't tryna ride (tryna ride)
Boy, you ain't tryna die (tryna die)
They do a homicide (homicide)
You better pick yo' side (pick yo' side)
Better stay inside (stay inside)
Or nigga you gon' die (damn, damn)"

~V.Roy

Omniscient pov

Maw stares into Kennedys dull lifeless eyes and attaches both of her hands to Kennedys . Throughout the dinner maw noticed Kennedys behavior and how sad she was when Von got brought up .

She hated seeing a once full of life person like Kennedy look so depressed and lifeless because of her grandson and she wanted to hear both sides to the story .

"How have you really been Kennedy ?" She asks in a soft tone .

She thought of Kennedy like her own daughter . When she saw how excited She was when they first met , and how much she loved and looked out for Von, changing him for the better . She knew Kennedy would be around forever. So she refused to see her grandsons soulmate go down a dark path like she did . So maw is determined to fix their relationship one way or another .

"I've been good " she lies , which maw seen straight through. She scoots closer to her and Kennedy tries to refrain herself from crying feeling the black mother energy coming from maws heart .

"Seriously?" She asks and Kennedy looks away "ive never seen you with so much saddens in your eyes " she sighs and Kennedy exhales and pulls her hands away letting one tear fall from her eyes .

She feels her emotions brewing , waiting to be released , but she doesn't let them . She's tired of crying over Von and being stuck on him when all he's doing is speaking bad on her and moving on . She wanted to heal and seeing , talking , or thinking of Von is not helping .

"with all do respect if this is about Von I would rather not talk about it " she mumbles . Maw nods a little then sits back in her chair .

"Okay I respect it " she says "I'll just tell you a story "

"A story about what ?" Kennedy questions

"A boy name Wayne " she answers .

Kennedy furrows her eyebrows, confused on what this Wayne character has to do with her but she nods anyways to change the Von subject . She already shed one tear and she knew maw isn't ready for the water works .

"Wayne was born in ninety four to a young lady named Lanora Wright , she was fourteen " she starts and Kennedy gasp completely forgetting about the sad emotions that suddenly left her body .

"Fourteen ? " She questions surprised. She didn't even know who maw is talking about but for some reason this story intrigued her.

"Yep . She was raised in a very stable home . With Both her mom and her dad . They provided her with a great education, and the tools she needed to succeed. But she wanted her own life and to make her own decisions. " maw explains . Kennedy sits back in her chair getting very interested in where this story is going .

"After Nora had Wayne she started prostituting herself and living with a thirty seven year old pimp name juicy " she frowns "she tried throwing the baby in the trash can but I found him and brought him home to raise him as my own . "She says and Kennedy gasp at the trash can part

" years later , when wayne turned ten , Nora came back home . Drugged out , beaten down , and starved . Which Wayne seen and begged me to take his mother in to . So I did "