Blizzards (part 2)

Part two of Blizzards! I tried doing as much research as I could about how paramedics treat hypothermia but I could get things wrong. I'll put where we left off in italics.

"Connor, I need you to call 911 immediately."

"What?" He yelped, tightening his grip on Evan, "Why? What's wrong with him?"

"The paramedics will explain. The sooner you call them, the better outcome and more likely he'll be okay. Got that, honey?"

"O-Okay. Thank you, Heidi, I love you."

"I love you too, Connor, and I promise, it'll be okay."

The line went dead as Connor hung up and dialed 911 as fast as his fingers would allow. A young woman picked up almost immediately, asking in a calm, collected tone what was wrong.

Connor explained the situation just like he had with Heidi, saying that he was chilled to the bone and unconscious.

"Alright, sir, I've tracked the call and sent an ambulance in their way. They should be there in about ten minutes. In the meantime, I advise changing your husband into warmer and dryer clothing, it would be the best thing you could do at the moment. If you could, put on heavier and thicker layers."

"Alright, thank you, I'll do that now."

"You are very welcome, sir. It will be alright, just do as the paramedics say. Goodbye, sir."

Connor stuffed the phone back into his pocket and carried Evan inside, dropping him on their bed and quickly stripping him of his wet clothing and putting him in warmer layers.

As Connor waited for the sounds of sirens to approach, he wrapped Evan in as many blankets he could find. He wanted to do anything to help Evan before help came.

There was a vibration that came from his pocket. Realizing he was being called, he took out his phone for the third time and looked at the name.

Jared. He forgot he called him completely freaked out. He accepted the call, repositioning Evan in his arms.

"Hey, did you find Acorn?"

"Y-Yeah, he came home, I'm waiting for an ambulance." He breathed, realizing he probably could have phrased that better.

"What? Oh my god, what the fuck happened?"

"I-I don't know, Jared. He must've walked home and he collapsed in the driveway. I called 911 and-" He was cut off by a loud, screeching sound. "Fuck, I gotta go, Jared, the paramedics are here."

"But where-"

"Middleborough Hospital, the one downtown. I'll see you there."

He shut off his phone and carried his lover outside where a group of paramedics was about to open their door.

They asked him to let go of Evan so they could get him onto the stretcher, which he reluctantly did, although they did let him ride to the hospital with him.

Connor was overwhelmed by everything that happened in the ride over there. Noises were coming from every direction, orders from the responders, it was too much for him, the only thing giving him comfort was the pulse in Evan's wrist.

Heating packs were placed across Evan's small body in an attempt to bring his body temperature back up.

The moment they pulled into the hospital's lot, they rushed Evan inside with Connor close behind. One of the paramedics broke away from the stretcher and pulled Heidi and a doctor aside, probably giving them Evan's information. The next Connor knew the doctor took him away to a room.

He turned around and saw Jared in a chair, shaking with fear. Connor made his way over and Jared tackled him in a hug. Connor felt his tears soak through his hoodie.

"Hey, J," he rubbed his back, "he's okay, they said he'll be okay."

He wiped his eyes. "Sorry I was a dick earlier."

"It's fine, you're always a dick." That made Jared laugh.

It took fifteen long minutes for Heidi to return to them. Fifteen minutes that felt like a million hours. She sat next to the two panicking boys and offered them a reassuring smile.

"Hi, Jared, Hi, Connor, are you two boys doing alright?"

"No, how's Ev? Is he going to be okay?"

"I talked to his doctor, Dr. Laurens, and he said he should be just fine."

"Really?" Jared asked, wiping his nose on his coat sleeve.

"Yes," she nodded, "it was a mild case of hypothermia, no life-threatening consequences. He might want to keep him overnight to watch him, but other than that, he's alright. Ev's awake if you want to see him."

Connor and Jared let out a breath neither of them realized they had been holding. The magical words they had been waiting for were heard. Evan was okay, and that was music to their ears.

Hey humans! I feel like this could have gone better, but my eyes are bugging me and I don't feel like editing and proofreading anymore, I'll fix any typos tomorrow. Love you all!! ❤️❤️