Chapter 19: I'll take the left...

Start from the beginning

“Well that’s too bad but I shouldn’t have to put up with this. Just because you want something a certain way means you’re gonna get it. I promise I’ll call and I’ll stay away from him.”

“I’m not worried about what you’ll do I’m worried about what he’ll do. I don’t trust him Laken and I just can’t have you go off where I won’t be able to protect you from-“

“I’m going.” I said this as firmly as I could then grabbed up my duffle and started re-stuffing the clothes with vigor.

“It’s not like I’m trying to hurt you or suck the fun out of your life. I know you’re excited but Lucas can’t be trusted. We don’t know a thing about him. I’ve had Thomas do a background search and absolutely nothing came up. Don’t you find that a little strange? Thomas, the best investigator in the pack can’t find anything on him.” He said calmly, standing in the middle of my room watching as I packed my bag.

“You did a background check? Who’s the stalker now?” I said with malice.

“A new nose comes sniffing around a member of my pack, it’s my duty to do checks. I’ll take you to Canada or wherever the hell you want to go for the holidays I promise, but not this trip I have a bad feeling about this.”

“I want to stay here for the holidays with my family.” I said stubbornly; “This is my chance to hang with my friends and my mom already said yes. She’s gonna drop me to school tomorrow and I’m gonna get on that bus and then on the plane and go to Canada. If you want you can drop me to the airport yourself that way you’ll see me off and see that it’s safe but otherwise I’m not changing my mind.”

“It’s out of your hands now. My instincts have never failed me before, you are a member of my pack and it’s my duty to protect what’s mine. I’m sorry but I’m ordering you to stay here and I’m sure you don’t want to disobey another one of my orders.” He said this softly as if he really didn’t want to do it but he had no choice.

I plopped down on my bed my eyes filling. I know there was no reason for me to feel this way but you know when you’ve just been looking forward to something for so long and then to get the news that it wouldn’t be happening, it was just frustrating.

“Laken you know my instincts have never led me astray. I’m not trying to be cruel here it’s just that I have a bad feeling about this trip.” He said softly.

I looked up at him. He looked just as helpless as I felt and so I couldn’t stay mad at him for that.

“It’s okay maybe we can spend the time at your place and burn a cake or two.” I said sadly.

He smiled then came over to where I sat ruffling my hair then planting a kiss on my temple.

“I’ll take you anywhere you want to go, I swear.” He said trying to brighten my mood but it really wasn’t working.

“It’s okay, I just wanna go to bed now, A-Alone.” I said.

I could tell the words stung because I could see it in his eyes but he nodded, kissed my head again then left my room.

……………………..

I stared at the gift wrapped box in my hand, turning it this way and that.

Should I open it?

I’d been sitting here for close to twenty-five minutes going back and forth over this. It wouldn’t be right to open it, I knew how Carson felt about Lucas, it just wouldn’t be right. I sighed then leaned back against the pillows. I loved surprises so of course I was eager to see what was inside.