Michelangelo the Mischievous

Start from the beginning

If Kaikeyi Maa figured out that he didn't like war and battle very much, that he enjoyed painting, and writing, and reading, then she would be devastated. Queen Kaikeyi always wanted Bharat to be an enviable fighter on the battlefield, to lead the army to victory. Bharat always thought that was more Ram's thing, saving everyone. He could write a poem about Ram's victory.

Grabbing his palette, he snuck out of Kaikeyi's vision and out into the hallways. Oh no! Ram hadn't included any paintbrushes! Hesitantly, he dipped a finger into a vivid red, the same color of the eldest brother's dhoti today. Peering about to see if anyone was watching, the guards were asleep, and Bharat quickly smeared it on the wall.

Lighting a small lantern, he placed it on the ground and studied the streak. Maybe he could test out the paints right here! It was right in front of the twins' room, and they wouldn't mind! So, he tested out the royal blues, and forest greens, and sunset oranges, and even a disgusting shade of pink that he quickly got off his fingers.

"Now, what do I make of this?" he asked about the rainbow jumble of colors he had tested on the walls. Suddenly, he heard footsteps approaching him steadily. His heart stopped, and breathing quickened as fear rushed up his spine. It must be a guard! He quickly hid, but they faded away, and he returned to his makeshift canvas.

"Maybe I'll just cover the entire wall with dots." And so, Bharat went on and on, fingerpainting the entire wall in front of the bed chambers until he was tired and dawn was about to hit.

The sun rose, and light flooded in through the windows. Shatrughan woke up happily, as he usually was, and leapt off his cot. Lakshman, beside him, wasn't really a morning person, and stayed buried under the blankets. Walking out the door, a horrendous sight greeted him. The entire wall was covered with faded greens and browns!

"Laksh, Laksh, come see this!" he called, and his twin groaned. So, the youngest prince took it upon himself to drag his rather short-tempered brother out of the bed, and into the hallway. Lakshman's eyes widened, and he refrained himself from shouting at Shatrughan.

"Shatrughan! Who did this? Did you?" Shatrughan shook his head. "I'm not that artistic bhaiyya. But I know who is..." They both turned towards Bharat, who had fallen asleep in front of the wall, still clutching onto the palette of paints.

"Bharat? But, isn't he seven today?" Shatrughan nodded, and Lakshman's eyes widened, and showing a certain observant natura that would prove most helpful later in his life, cried,

"He'll get punished by Maa Kaikeyi for sure! Come on, it's still the break of dawn. Let's get him cleaned up and put him back on his bed. Birthdays aren't the time to be grounded or deprived of sweets." And so, the twins, who usually caused mischief or trouble, showing great presence of mind at only age six, did just that.

"What is this?" cried Sumitra, dragging the twins out of their beds by the ears. "What on Earth is this?" She pointed towards the wall, and the twins feigned shock.

"That looks horrible!" cried Shatrughan, and Lakshman gulped. Wrong words.

"So you admit to painting on the wall, then?" Sumitra shrieked furiously, and the youngest twin swallowed hard. Ram sighed. He had seen Bharat doing the painting very clearly.

Flashback

"What is that noise?" Ram exclaimed, sitting up from his bed. A little sound of clacking wood echoed through the area, before a scraping sound that made him wince. Slipping on a pair of traveling shoes, he stepped out into the hallway.

"Who's there?" he whispered. Noone responded. As he got closer and closer to the sound, he saw...Bharat? Painting on the wall? He was about to confront his brother, but heard a small gasp, and rapid footsteps. Sighing, he stepped back a few, and sure enough, Bharat raced back to the wall.

"Hmmm," he mumbled. "Let's try a mix of this black and a spot of white." Ram could have groaned as Bharat slapped a little on the wall. Poor Lakshman and Shatrughan! Of course, they would be blamed for it! Shaking his head, he paced back to his room, wondering what to do.

Present

"No, actually Maa," Ram stepped up. "I did. You see, I thought Bharat loved art, so I made a mural for him as his birthday present." Silence, before Dasharath cleared his throat. That seemed to ease the tension a bit, as Kaushalya laughed, and Kaikeyi shook her head reprovingly.

"Why did you trouble poor Shatrughan about it? He obviously doesn't have paints." Kaikeyi chided. Lakshman's jaw dropped. Poor Shatrughan was it? Poor Shatrughan was the reason that Bharat had gotten paints! What about him? He had gotten dragged out by the ears too!

Moments later, as the brothers walked together towards the dining areas, Bharat attempted to renew some of his dignity. "You know, the painting wasn't bad, now was it?" he pleaded.

Lakshman snorted. "No, bhaiyya, it was horrendous. Terrible, horrible, no good. You ought to have made an image of a mud mountain, and it would have turned out better."

"Lakshman." Ram sighed. "Look, Bharat. It was hard enough convincing everyone that I had done the painting. Next time, at least make it a bit more expertful! Perhaps it might be easier."

A/N-The title needs no explanation, and yet still I persevere! Bharat was a bit (read: very) mischievous, and Michelangelo is a famous painter. Anyways, how did you feel about my perception of the 2nd oldest prince? I never thought of him as very warrior-type, rather peaceful, calm, appreciative of literature and the humanities. What about you? I focused a bit on Bharat and Ram this time, but I love adding the twins in. In the next chapter or two I'll make them the center point. Who is your favorite prince of Ayodhya? Can you guess who mine is?