Chapter 13

I woke up to the sun coming though my open window. I rolled over  to my stomach while I threw a pillow over my face. I gave  out a small moan as my alarm clock went off telling me work was in three hours. I rolled off my bed hitting the floor.

"Ugh" I sat up rubbing my eyes.

I slowly got up trying to find a clean pair of clothes to wear. I finally found a navy blue tang top and a pair of faded pair of jean shorts. I slipped on my clean clothes, grabbed my phone and marched my way down to the kitchen. I stepped into the kitchen with the smell of bacon and sausage. I peaked my head around the corner to see my cousin Brandon in front of the stove. I took in a deep breath. I hoped he didn't know that I left my house last night. I mean it's my house but Brandon is like my big brother. Always asking question and always making sure that I'm not in trouble. I sucked in another breath before I stepped into the kitchen.

"Morning" Brandon called as soon as my foot hit the tile floor.

"Morning" I tried to sound cheery as I walked  over to the table and sat down. Maybe Brandon didn't know about me going out? Maybe Brandon would just not ask me anything.

"So...That one boy in the Army. Did he ever come back home?" Brandon kept his face looking down at the bacon. Brandon was in the military too. He knew what war looked like. He knew what pain came with serving the country. I looked up from the table towards Brandon's back.

"He did. He's actually home now" I said

"Are you two. You know. Still dating?" Oh no. Brandon was asking questions. He knew. He had to know. Ok ok play it cool Eliza. Play it cool.

"We never broke up Brandon" I responded calmly.

Brandon came over with a plate of sausage and bacon on it. He placed it in front of me with a glass of juice.

"Thanks" I smiled before I took my first bit into the crispy bacon. I then took a swig of my drink.

"Where did you go last night?" I spit my juice all over the table. Yup I got caught.

"What do you mean. I was in my room" I got up to get a paper towel to clean up the mess I just made. But mostly just to get away from Brandon's hard eyes that wanted answers.

"No you weren't" his voice becoming stern. I grabbed the towel and started to clean up the table.

Brandon's hand went on to mine stopping me from cleaning up the juice. I looked up at him. He didn't look angry. He looked more concerned then anything else. I sighed and sat down at the table.

"I don't care Eliza. I know you loved him before he left. But Eliza lets be real here. You can't forget the pain you felt when he was over seas. You can't forget that pain of knowing he could come home in a cofen" Brandon looked into my eyes harder.

My eyes started  to brim with tears. I did remember the pain. The pain of it all. The pain of not knowing. The pain of letting my mind wounded on what could happen. Plus the pain of being told he was dead. All those emotions coming back into my heart. I shock my head at Brandon. I stood up yanking my hand out from his.

"Of course I remember the pain. I live with it every God damn day Brandon. I've just pushes it farther and farther down because I now have happiness in my heart. Jim has brought more joy in my heart now that's he back then the pain he made when he left" Tears started to bluer my vision.

"Brandon just let me love him. Even if I get hurt. Let me love him. Some times you got to let people fall on their butts" I said

"I know Eliza. I'm just trying to make sure you know what your getting your self into." Brandon came over to me engulfing me in a hug.

"I got to get ready for work" I spilt from Brandon running my way upstairs.

I wanted to just get my uniform and  go to work. I kinda want to forget about this conversation. I told myself before Jim came home that I would stop crying over him. Or at lest the fact I was once left alone. But I'm not alone anymore. My love has come back. My little town love has come back. I sighed as I grabbed the waitress uniform from my closet and headed for my car.