CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

jhene

lisa laid in my lap as she cried about the argument her and mister powers had.

"he basically told me that all i was good for was doing girly things!"

"and what the hell does that mean?"

"EXACTLY! i can do all the same things keith do!"

"lisa baby it's for the best. trust me the streets isn't somewhere you want to be. my dad didn't want me in it either. hence why he sent me here."

"i know but , it's not like he has a reason!"

"so it gotta take for somebody to die to realize that being a girl in the streets isn't safe?"

"no but. i just love it so much. i hate school and fast money is my thing."

"lisa honey, i promise you aren't missing out on anything. there's nothing but death and violence out there."

"but i wanna see what you've seen, do all the things you've done. i wanna be just like you nene."

"lisa honey look at me. look at the life i lead. do you wanna have to run in fear of dying? do you wanna have to look over your shoulder all the time? do you wanna constantly have to mive away from
here and go somewhere else and hide who you are in order to keep your enemy from getting to you?"

"n-no."

"i didn't think so. you're dad is only trying to keep you out of trouble , trust me i would have listened when my dad told me my life wouldn't have been as upside down as it was."

"but you don't know that! i just feel boring without out being in the streets! your life is so interesting."

"and filled with so many instances where i could have died. lisa, it's no place for a lady."

"i just wanna go on ONE mission. it's the only time i get to spend with daddy." she whined.

"so thats what this is about. you miss your father."

she nodded and stared off into space and finally brought her eyes back to mine.

"then tell him. there's nothing wrong with wanted to spend time with your dad."

she nodded and began to wipe her eyes. i opened my arm for her as she crawled into them and gave me a squeezed.

the next day..

lisa slept on the other side as i was already up and in my running gear. i grabbed my phone and airpods as i opened my room door to exit.

"bring back food." i heard lisa say as i smiled to myself.

"will do." i said back as i walked out and down my stairs. i seen my aunt and uncle downstairs chatting as they both ceased and looked up at me.

"what's going on guys?"

"sweetie , that was keith's father. he got into an accident last night." my aunt signed to me. my breathing stopped as my mind started to flood with all kinds if things.

"jhene. jhene say something."

"i- i gotta get to the hospital.. i-is he okay?"

"jhene everything is fine."

"no. it's not i-.. i need to see him. i need to see what happened." i said as my eyes became cloudy and i turned to run back upstairs. i burst into my room as lisa jumped up.

"what?! what?!" she yelled as i rushed around looking for my keys.

"keith's been in an accident, lets go , now." i said as i finally found them and ran out. lisa was hot on my tail halfway ready. i jumped into my car as i seen my uncle and auntie appear in the doorway.

i quickly, yet carefully pulled out of the drive way and sped to the hospital.

at the hospital..

i went to the desk as the lady looked up at us.

"what can i do ya for?"

"um the room to keith powers."

"and you are ?"

"his girlfriend." i answered as lisa appeared beside me.

she picked up the phone and called someone. she nodded and hung it up as she turned back to me.

"well?"

"mr powers is in surgery. you can wait out here if you want , he'll be out in a second."

my mind began to race as my heart pounded. the room began to spin as my stomach burned. the words echoed in my head as i made up all kinds of scenarios and situations.

they came to a halt as i heard my name.

"huh?"

"they said he's out and we can see him. come on." lisa said as she grabbed my arm. my body felt like a bag of bricks and my feel felt like they were glued to the floor.

my chest became heavy as we walked back towards his room, my heart became heavy as we soon rounded a corner and came to some curtains.

my stomach began to burn again. lisa peeled back the curtain as i seen keith sleeping. my heart settled as i seen that his face what okay.

"what happened dad?" lisa asked as mr. powers cried.

"that mothafucker shot him. he was close to your mother when the guy that had her fired off two rounds one missed and one hit.

i halfway listened as i reached up and pulled back the blanket as a small whimper came from my mouth.

his chest and shoulder was wrapped up as i stumbled back as images of my brother flooded my mind. i hit the wall as i slid down is and kept my eyes blanked out as i continued to spiral downward.

i needed keith. keith was my only source of sanity. without him i felt like i was losing it.

my stomach started to turn some more as my body began to have hot flashes. i felt my body begin to shut down as i soon closed my eyes and tried to breathe but it was no use.

a few moments later..

i opened my eyes to see i was in a bed. i looked to see i had an iv in my arm and the machine beeped softly. the curtains opened as lisa appeared.

"oh bitch ! whew i thought you died oh thank the lord!" lisa cheered and hugged me as i hugged her back.

"i'm fine. where's keith."

"girl , he's up and looking for you." she said as i lit up and took the iv out as the machine started to beat. i grabbed the napkins beside me and held it on my arm as i walked with lisa.

she led me to his room as i opened it to see him watching tv.

"jhene." he said as he began to sit up. i teared up as i briskly walked over to him as hugged him.

"oh sweetie what happened?"

"well when i went with my dad, i had to go into the house and retrieve my mother. when i went in, i almost got her, when i didn't fully check my corners and some guy from around the corner and shot me."

"oh my gosh, is he still alive?" i asked.

"not after i get out here."

"no keith. i don't want you on the field for the next month."

"but dad i-"

"no buts. i can't risk it."

"so who's gonna go with you when you need something moved?"

"lisa. she's the only person i trust outside of you."
___________________________________

oooh , i know i've been awaaay 😩

vote and comment 💗