Chapter 2- Death makes mistakes too

Start from the beginning

"I look this way so as not to scare you..." he explained, and I noticed a tint of discomfort in his tone. "This image was made according to your, strange I may add, likings."

Whatttttt??? No. Impossible. I never dreamed of mysterious men with luscious curly black hair and eyes like purple gemstones. You, sir, are very wrong...

"No, I am not." he thundered. "And dear soul, please try to be quieter. You are so loud it is causing me headaches."

Sorry, great almighty, is not like I can control it...

However, this just made me surer that I was dreaming. It was ridiculous to think that Death itself could suffer over my loud thoughts.

"This is not your dream." he said, his piercing glance like a dagger, leaving me speechless. "Now, let's go through my business with you. Your body has run its course. However, your passing was not supposed to happen until 70 years in the future. By accident you have come to your unexpected end at 26 years of age..." he completed, allowing me to sink in the information.

And it sank. Badly.

"Accident? Accident?! How come there could be an accident like that???" his words ignited the flames of a wronged rage inside me. It was so consuming I lost all reason or care for my situation. "Are you telling me, dear death, I lost my life because of a mistake from you?"

Even if this was a nightmare, it was outrageous how much he lacked professionalism.

"Please calm down or the darkness will surround you again... I am sure you don't wish to turn into a lost soul..." he said, trying to appease me with a soothing voice that rang deep into the very essence of my being.

And in that moment, panic settled. It felt too real to be anything but my sad reality. I took a long breath to regain my tranquility and to fend off the dark tentacles that were slowly creeping in.

"Technically, it was not my fault. It was the book of the souls that had a typo. It never happened before. Unfortunately, you were the unlucky one." He came closer while I stepped away, getting angry again.

"Technically?!" I retorted, surprised at his nonsense. "How?! You know what?! I do not care about it, I just want my life back!" I demanded with my hands on my hips.

How unlucky can I be to die because of a typo?! A TYPO!

If this was real, then my life was nothing more than a borderline crazy comedy.

"Of course I will compensate you. It is only fair I do so!" said the man who showed himself to be the clumsiest death of all existence.

And for a meagre moment, I had my hope back. The belief that everything would be normal again. That I would return to my intended life.

Yet Death crushed my hope, as one would crush an ant with its shoe, violently and without ceremony. "It is impossible for you to return to that body of yours. The soul book has already been signed with your death and cannot be exchanged. However, I have another solution."

"What solution?" my voice was tight and my body shook. Beneath me, the darkness regained ground and circled around my feet. "The life I am entitled to is lost, and I cannot go back. It is not fair and I don't care how you do it, just bring back my life!" I pointed my finger at him in accusation.

He, however, remained stone-faced. "Unfortunately, dear soul, that is not possible. There is no way for you to return to your previous life. The only way for you to return to the Living is by taking the body of someone whose soul has crossed but has yet to be reclaimed by the book of souls. I intend to send you to this body. Worry not as it is a youthful body, though in a little difficult situation..." he paused, his nose wrinkled while his eyes got lost in something beyond my presence.

The darkness reached my waist, calling for me. Shouting my anger and misfortune back like a broken mirror. Daring me to be brave against my odds.

" I don't care about that! Again, I want my body!" I said.

Death moved too fast for my eyes and I lost him in the nothingness. He then appeared just a breath away, his scythe in between us, scaring me senseless. This proximity allowed me to see that his illusion of humanity only covered his face and not the rest of him. His skeleton-dark hands were playing with the tip of his weapon, making spooky noises that amused him.

"No time for more words. Go, soul, rest and be sure that everything will be fine. As a small compensation for the trouble, I gave you the gift of remembrance. It may be helpful. Or not..." And with a sly smile, he moved his weapon.

Before the impending darkness could swallow me, in that fraction of a moment, I saw Death's true face. With the illusion no longer there for my eyes to see, I understood how scary he was.

And how stupid I had been.

Edited again on 2022/10/24

This chapter has been edited to improve the reading experience. Be free to tell me what you think of it!!

Author's note:

What did you think about the chapter? And death? 

Be free to discuss the story! :) 

----//---------------

In case you like my stories and would like to support me, now you can buy me a coffee!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/andreascribe

Thanks!!!